DIY beadlocks; Aluminum or Steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY beadlocks; Aluminum or Steel?

So I got to lookin' around at DIY beadlock kits & did find some nice alum ones at Sky Lock:
    http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=167

They run $125/ wheel with all the hardware (about 2x the steel kits).

I've got my American Eagle wheels (on the '69 now & would look just like the pic on the Sky lock site above) I can do the alum kits on, 15x 10s w/ 3.5" backspacing OR I can run some steel kits on a set of 15x 8 wagon wheels w/ 3.5" backspacing ('68 parts pile). The price difference is not a horrible concern so had the choice, which would all you veterans run? TIG welding the alum kits are a non issue as well! Looking at running some 38x 13x 15 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers on whichever ones I go with.

Thanks,
    Fungus
    Last edited by Fungus232; 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: DIY beadlocks; Aluminum or Steel?

I have heard of wheel failure with DIY beads on alum wheels. They are not cast/forged the same as a wheel cast as one. My vote would be for steel.
    Last edited by TBS-POPS; 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Yeah, I would steer clear of converting your aluminum wheels to beadlocks unless you sent them to Champion wheels to have it done. Looks like they charge $188 per wheel... but I would imagine they stand behind their work and I don't think the extra $63 per wheel is too much considering the piece of mind you get....

I'm looking at getting the Raceline wheels when I upgrade to Dana 60's.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Sounds like I'll stick with the steel wheels then. Save my coin for some 17" Monsters down the road!
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Working...
        X