Steering box adapter? whatcha think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box adapter? whatcha think?

Anyone seem one of these? I am in the market for a new steering box. Going to ditch the F100 box to do the TRO. Should I get a Wild Horses quick ratio box or try to find a 4x4x2 box?

http://www.westcoastbronco.com/produ...6Cat1%5FID%3D2
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

What's better? A Wild Horses quick ratio box or the BC F150 4x4 box. I can get the quick ratio box, which they want $700 for, for about $450 plus shipping. I can get the BC box for $550.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I am doing a 4X4X2 swap this winter. I got my box from the wrecking yard and had www.westtexasoffroad.com rebuild/EB steering on it. It was cheaper than going with the W/H box. I went with the frame reinforcement plate from B.C's. (weld on).. I think the weld on will be stronger than the bolt up.. I will be doing mine soon with the hydroboost and TRO all at the same time.

The Box is easier to buy allready done just more money.. All the parts houses have them just have to ask.. Why not ask westcoast about a deal on both.
      Aaron
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I sent WCB an email about a price on the box itself. Just waiting to hear from them. I did notice that Duffs was having a moving sale and had the frame plates for cheap. I may order one.

Comment

I like weld on vs bolt on, lots of stress on the bolts and frame. You could use the bolt on adapter and then weld it in place.
          I know some people don't like the quick ratio boxs for street driving but I think you can get use to it.

Comment

Gotta agree with Aarons choice find a F150 box and have redneck rebuild it. You can find one of those boxs for under $100 fairly easy and then $500 to Redneck and you have not only a great box but ram assist too.
            FM
            72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
            1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I don't think I want the ram assist. I will only be running 35" tires and I haven't had a need for ram assist. A better box and tie rod setup should be good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
                Gotta agree with Aarons choice find a F150 box and have redneck rebuild it. You can find one of those boxs for under $100 fairly easy and then $500 to Redneck and you have not only a great box but ram assist too.
                FM
                I did the redneck ram. It leaked at the shaft seal after about a year. I replaced it with the PSC ram...like the one WH sells. Great so far. Been about 1 year.
                Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Had my Redneck ram for about 1.5 years and alls good so far.
                  What's better? A Wild Horses quick ratio box or the BC F150 4x4 box. I can get the quick ratio box, which they want $700 for, for about $450 plus shipping. I can get the BC box for $550.
                  I would stick with the F150 box it is the strongest one I have seen in a none ram assist application. I ran that box (stock) on my 79 Bronco with lockers and 39.5 swampers and it worked great. FFMDX, Crawling68 and Mike C. have all gone to them with good results. I am not sure which box WH uses for their quick ratio box (Nissian or something, can't remember) but if its not based off of the F150 box then I would pass. Hope that helps. Look forward to bending some tube with ya. FM
                  72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                  1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Working...
                  X