429 Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 429 Parts

A buddy of mine is moving out of the country. He gave me a tote full of new parts for a rebuild. It includes new TRW pistons, rings, Crower connecting rods, push rods, timing chain and gear set, oil pump, lifters (Rhodes), cam, main bearings, intake. What I'm missing is a block and heads. From what I can tell, I believe these are Cobra Jet parts. Are these interchangable 460 parts too? Not sure what I'm going to do with them.
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Re: 429 Parts

It should all be interchangeable aside from the connecting rods which would be a different length than 460 rods. But I believe that if you find a 460 block and 429 crank you could build an engine. On another note, Ford did make injected 429 engines well into the 90's. They came in F-650's.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thanks for the info
      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I know a guy that has a late 80's fuel injected 7.5L for sale.. Could be the start to an awesome engine for an older pickup... Fuel injected 429 CJ?
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

The connecting rods are the same for a 460 and 429, the difference is in the piston wrist pit height. Other than the crank and pistons EVERYTHING on a 460/429 is interchangeable. The only thing you have to keep in mind is whether the engine is internally or externally balanced. All 429 CJ stuff should be internally balanced but if you are putting an engine together from scratch you can have it balanced however you want. Using a 1980s 460 block is fine but the heads are junk and should only be used with an EFI intake. CJ heads are great but not really worth the $s, you can have 1969 or 1970 style stock heads fitted with larger CJ valves and port the exhaust and get similar results to CJ heads for way less money. FYI porting the exhaust will make a HUGE difference, that is where the stock heads are really limiting. Hope this helps, let me know if you decide to get rid of those parts, my brother is working on a 429 in a 1969 Torino.
          Build thread

Comment

Oh yes. 429's are awesome. When i was single and had money to burn i put edelbrock performer rpm heads and intake on mine. It was scary power. And yes, they are interchangeable, i used 69 parts in an 88 460 block. Back in 2004 there was only two companies selling pistons for the 429, and they were fairly heavy. Balancing to 6500 rpm cost me about $250, it was all internal balancing, crank rods and pistons. Mine was in my 2000 pound cobra.

Comment

Wait, I want to hear more about this 429 powered cobra......
              Build thread

Comment

Lots of power, tiny car. Every hot rodders dream right. Theres a warm place in my garage for the 429.

Comment

i would love to have some 429/460 parts to build a killer motor
                  72 BRONCO,still building.

Comment

Working...
                  X