Por 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Por 15

How many of you guys have used Por 15 on your axles? Looking at that product to use after I clean up new old axles.

Re: Por 15

I used it on my rear axle - learn from my mistake and make sure you clean it extremely well first - their cleaning products work very well though others do too. I got in a hurried mood the day I attacked that project (with the axle still under the vehicle) and my results show my haste. I have always meant to pull the whole axle out and do it right... but never have.

Less is more with that stuff too... thin coats work better than thicker coats. You kind of get the feel for it as you work with it.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

thats good to know. It says that you just paint it over the rust, so that means I don't have to grind down all the surface rust?? wooooohooooo Saved me some time

Comment

Originally posted by 68olblue View Post
        thats good to know. It says that you just paint it over the rust, so that means I don't have to grind down all the surface rust?? wooooohooooo Saved me some time
        It actually works better if there is rust for the paint to grab on to. Remove all the loose stuff with a wire brush, degrease really well, let dry and go for it. POR 15 is not a top coat, so if exposed to sun or a uv, it will fade (black to gray, silver to yellowish silver), but it won't change the protective properties. POR 15 over intact paint is supposed to not have the same protection, but I haven't seen any issues yet where I used it over paint.

BTW, use gloves!

Comment

X2 on the "use gloves" comment. Also the recommendation to pour small amounts of the stuff into a second container in which to dip your brush is important as well.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I POR 15'd the frame, axels, and the the underside of the body. Made a huge mess but it is amazing stuff. I too recommend using their prep products. They made a good degreaser, prep, and paint kit. The stuff is expensive, but worth it. Another good product is Zero Rust. They are similar but cheaper. And they have a good aerosol paint. And make sure to wear gloves and mask if you have one. And put down newspaper too
            1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

Ex POR dealer advice.... follow the instructions! Use the metal etch, do it right and the results will be great.

Only complaints I ever got from customers was followed by "oh, I didn't think I needed to use the metal etch"...

Hope this helps...

Comment

Yup. A little surface rust is good bonding material. I put it on clean smooth metal and it was pretty easy to flake off in big chunks. Just not enough for it to grab onto. Needs rough texture. My daughter helped and she had black shit on her hands for three weeks. Mom wasn't happy.
                sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

Love the product. I used the metal etc so I'm hoping my effort pays offs. One downside to staight POR15...its not a top coat so is not UV protected. I top coated with their CHassis Blac POR15 and it seems to be the same product as straight POR 15 but has UV in it. I might just do chassis blac next time.
                  Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

My Father-in-law used this stuff by the book, including metal etch, it all peeled off after one year. Not happy at all. Hope maybe it was a fluke for him but I'll never use it
                    Last edited by ThrillHouse; 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X