Duke Winches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Winches

What does anybody know about duke winches? I found this add on craigslist... http://fresno.craigslist.org/spo/3201286757.html. Sounds a little shady but i working in the area so i'll be able to check them out personally.

Cant find to much on the quality of the winches but for $250 it might be worth it.

Re: Duke Winches

My thoughts on winches is when you really need it do you want to be questioning the quality... So I bought a warn...
    WT 4x4
    91' One Ton Bronco
    1971 Bronco
    9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

If i had the cash I would go warn. But right now id rather have one than not. even 250 is going to be a pull for me. (no Pun intended but ill accept it) if anybody has a used warn that's for sale let me know.

The duke looks to be an exact copy of the warn. I found some other stuff about duke. they seem to make overhead industrial winches.

Comment

that looks like a Warn.
        1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

made in Asia

http://www.hoistasia.com
          1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

That's pretty interesting... take a look at the printed specs between Warn and Duke:

http://www.hoistasia.com/content/ind...tree_id=27&s=2
            http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml

Specifically the line pull by layer. The DW8000 from Duke matches the Warn M8000 step for step, including exactly the same line speed. BUT... dig a little deeper (see below)

The Duke has a 12V 4.6HP motor, the Warn has a 12V 4.8 hp motor.
            The Duke has a 156:1 gear reduction, the Warn has a 216:1 ratio.

Something does not add up here. Less HP and less gearing does not equal identical pulling power by layer nor identical line speed. Duke is printing WARN's performance specs but with less power.

I would be very wary of the Duke winch. It's too cheap and its specs are too good to be true. As was said, if you need it do you really want to question its quality? Save your cash a while longer and buy something with a solid reputation. My $.02 anyway.
            Last edited by CityHick; 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

thanks for the website. looks like the copy a lot of warns. Is Warn 100% made int the USA or just assembled in the USA. This could be the same manufacture just putting them together themselves.

I email Warn to see what they have to say.

Comment

Can't find anywhere, where Warn says they are built here. They say they have 400,000 sq ft in Oregon but don't say they are built there. So I am thinking over seas also.
                Jack
                73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Years ago Milemarker made the mistake seeing if the Chinese could manufacture their winches cheaper. They handed over the plans to get an accurate quote and then backed out of the deal. Low and behold now you can buy knockoff Milemarker winches at Harbor Freights everywhere... The Chinese don't believe in brand loyalty... Maybe Warn made the same mistake... ????
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Over the past few years there has been a handfull of these cheap winches come to market, I have no idea why it took off.
                    If I was going to get a "Budget" winch, I'd get one from either Smittybuilt or Summit Racing because both companies have a phone number to answer any questions/issues.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

thats a good point. WHEN something breaks id like to know if and where i can order a replacement part

Comment

You can pick up the smittybuilts for $284 at 4wps.
                        75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Warn winches are assembled in the USA by mostly US made parts. Pirate4x4 did an article on Warn and visited the factory in OR. Showed them machining lots of the parts. I'm sure they can't get around buying electrical parts that aren't made in the USA.

Comment

Here is the reply I got from Warn---------

Jack

Most of our winches are made at our plant in Clackamas Oregon, but some are sourced overseas, can you let me know the Model winch you have or are looking at?

Tom Ewing

Customer Service
                            73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I got a very similar response...

For decades there has been winch competitors that have modeled Warn products and have become extremely aggressive in the market. We have never tested the Duke winch products for comparisons in performance nor are there any plans to at this time. Each year we are seeing more and more offshore competition and the names change often.

Your email did not indicate which Warn winch you are considering so the answer to your main question about pricing is we are a domestic manufacturer located in Oregon, the winches in this category have been designed and tested here as well as in the field as the forums articulate. You will find very quickly that among most industries now the challenge is to see how low can your prices go competing with offshore competition, essentially wiping out domestic manufacturers. We build premium products that outperform most competitors and back them with service and warranty standards that have never been matched.

A premium Warn winch will last decades given proper use, in the end we respect that your purchasing decision may ultimately be price related and we hope that you are well served by the product choice you make.

Regards,

Aaron Hall
                              Warn Customer Service
                              (800) 543-9276

I guess i was just hoping somebody would have a success story about DUKE or something to justify risking 250 on a winch that my guts says wont last. guess not... thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
                              X