Front Dana 60 Steering Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Dana 60 Steering Question

After looking at my 92 ball joint Dana 60, the track bar would seem to be directly over my F100 power steering box pitman arm. I mean that when I set the 60 up with a track bar, centering it, the tie rod and drag link from the pitman arm will be directly over each other, thus hitting each other if the suspension cycled. Any other full width guys have this issue, did you go with the 4x4x2 box? I guess I could install bump stops and keep my box. Im a few months out of welding the track bar bracket on the 60 and still need to get the radius arms dialed in.
    Just questioning my steering after the set up

Thanks

Re: Front Dana 60 Steering Question

This is a really good question, and it does not get better with the 4x4x2 box. In fact, my 4x4x2 box made it worse, since it has less steering angle than my factory bronco box.

By that, I mean that the full lock to lock angle on the 4x4x2 is less than the original Bronco ps box. So in order to get better turning radius, I ran a longer pitman arm. That pitman arm actually collided with the tie rod at full stuff...and broke the top plate on the 4x4x2 box, pushing the sector shaft up and out of the steering box. Big mess, and probably not too safe either.

I fixed it by running shorter steering arms...but I have a King Pin 60. On a ball joint 60, I imagine that you would need to move the tie rod holes closer to the ball joint centerline.

Would be interested to hear how you solve this...

James.

Comment

Working...
    X