351 efi swap distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351 efi swap distributor

Im having a hard time finding a 351 distributor with the tfi module mounted on the side. Now, its my undertanding that a 302 dizzy is shorter than the 351, so that option is out.

any suggestions on what models to look for at pnp for a 351 dizzy with the TFI on the side of it?

Re: 351 efi swap distributor

I'm not sure there was any stock 351W TFI distributors. Maybe on a 1996 MAF 5.8L Bronco. I'm gonna get an MSD one for mine. There are a couple other aftermarket dizzys too. Also you might be able to swap parts between the 5.0 and 5.8 dizzys and build a hybrid... But I'm not sure.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Got mine at BC broncos.

Comment

About $80 brand new at the parts stores. '92 or '93 F-250 w/ 5.8l. If its for a roller cam make sure it comes with a steel gear. '94 is the year I believe they went to the remote mount tfi.
        Last edited by Fungus232; 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM.
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

thanks. any cars come with them or were all the cars 302 aside from the cobra?

just went and searched oreilly's site, and they only show remote mounts for 92 and up. 88 to 91 had the dizzy mounted TFI. Is there any other difference between them? Any compatibility issues between rollers and non rollers as far as the dizzy is concerned?
          Last edited by plug ugly; 09-14-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Now I'm confusing myself, LOL! I just had to go backwards with my '92 5.8 into my '95 F-150. I had to swap out a dizzy mounted tfi for a remote mount... Don't know of any car apps that had a 5.8.

Anyhow, the ONLY difference between the roller cam dizzy and flat tappet dizzy is the drive gear (& how the tfi mounts of'course). I bought a later model dizzy that came with a steel gear (because my '95 pickup is wired for the remote mount dizzy) and had to swap the cast iron gear on before I dropped it into my flat tappet '92 engine. You can always do the same if your '90-'91 dizzy only comes with a cast gear and you're dropping it into a roller cam engine, just swap a steel gear onto the dizzy shaft.
            sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Summit racing had their house brand on sale for 180...I just bought one. Not bad for a billet one, with module and cap read to run.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

You could always wire up the remote TFI distributor, they work the same and are less likely to die due to heat. I have a remote TFI module you can have.
                Last edited by pippinmader; 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM.
                Build thread

Comment

I wa under the impression that the rjm harness wouldn't work with a remote tfi

Comment

It will require some changes, but it is basically the same system with a couple extra wires that go between the TFI and distributor. I will look and see if it has the same connector as the distributor mounted one. If it is the same connector you could mount the remote one right there on the intake next to the distributor.

I looked at it, I think all you have to do is split the power in, ground, and PIP going between the original TFI and ECU and connect those three things to the three wires on the distributor also. Does that sounds right to everyone? The only difficult thing is I think you have to make sure the PIP wire is shielded (wrapped in foil and that foil is connected to the foil on the original pip wire (the pip shielding is grounded inside the harness)

Here is a diagram of the TFI
                    Last edited by pippinmader; 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM.
                    Build thread

Comment

I've a played around with it some, albeit it's been a while. The tfi wires can be moved, but it still needs to have a plug that goes to the dizzy which is a whole different plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                        Summit racing had their house brand on sale for 180...I just bought one. Not bad for a billet one, with module and cap read to run.
                        Just Checked these out. Not bad, but,is it worth the scratch over the new Richter brand from oreillys for 80?

Comment

Originally posted by plug ugly View Post
                          Just Checked these out. Not bad, but,is it worth the scratch over the new Richter brand from oreillys for 80?

New vs. rebuilt, that's your call. Does the rebuilt come with a module?
                          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Actualllly oreillys says its new and the pic shows a tfi bit I haven't looked any further than that. It does not come with a steel gear however

Comment

Working...
                            X