Generic Tech - siezed motor in a 4runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Tech - siezed motor in a 4runner

Just bought a really, really clean 88 4runner at a great price for my son. He wanted one bad and I had to agree that it was a great rig. Not to an EB, of course, but it is going to be his DD and I can't afford another EB project.

Great price meaning that even with a new motor it was a good deal. It was basically a barn find - non-op for 10 years, looks like new inside and almost as good out.

The motor is spotless and original, oil looks good, everything looks good... but it won't crank. Breaker bar on crank pulley = no go, doesn't budge at all. I am thinking that the rings might be seized up. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it has not been turned over in 10 years.

Any tips? Just sent the kid out for marvel mystery oil, going to try some in the cylinders to see if the rings bust loose, probably have to pull the pan next to see if it is related to the rods but I really don't think so. If it was the cam, I think I'd get a little flex in the crank before it bound up.
    Last edited by tortuga; 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM.

Re: Generic Tech - siezed motor in a 4runner

I second your vote for Marvel Mystery Oil and here's why...

Back around 1995 my dad bought a 1937 Plymouth Coupe, totally original, that belonged to one of his neighbors from when he was a kid. It sat in a barn for over 30 years and hadn't been run since it was parked there. Same story... engine seized and not able to turn over. My dad pushed it into his parents' garage, and before he left he put a little Marvel Mystery Oil down each of the spark plug holes. A year later I went back with him to get it. With a new battery it turned over, and with a little coaxing it actually fired. (It's since been rebuilt... but you get my point).
    Last edited by CityHick; 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Lube up the cylinders and work it back and forth and if it breaks free work it around until you're confident then do a compression test on all cylinders to check for damage.....good luck

Comment

The spark plugs will tell a story. Hope it is a good one.
        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

I would also check that the starter is not engaged and seized.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Remember that those have belt driven cams and if the belt breaks while they are running then things go haywire fast. That's how alot of them got parked. Make sure the timing belt is still intact before wasting alot of time. Broken valves will lock things up in a hurry.
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

That era of Toyota, V6 specific, were notorious for head gasket leaks. It might be possible coolant leaked into a cylinder and as we know, water does not compress and can give that seized impression. Good luck, hope it is an easy fix for ya...
              1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I use PB Blaster down the spark plug holes, wait about 2 days, then turn it over by hand. I've got a few cars running by doing that.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I don't know about the 3.0L V6 that Toyota made but the 1996-2002 3.4L V6 is a non-interference engine. If the timing belt breaks it just loses time and dies... No damage.
                  Last edited by Efibroncoman; 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM.
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

X 3 on the Marvel Mystery Oil. Put in each cylinder and let it set, leave all plugs out then try to turn over by hand. May need to repeat the process a few times if 1st try does not work. When you pull the plugs if there is a head gasket problem you should see rust. Did you pull the plugs out when you tried to turn the motor over? There are as stated above many things to do before you try to start it so you can try to avoid making things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by twisted 66 View Post
                      When you pull the plugs if there is a head gasket problem you should see rust.
                      I didn't think about that. Great point; the plug looked like it had some greenish crystallized crap in it but wasn't rusty. The oil looks clear as well, and there might be a tiny bit of condensation in the oil filler plug.

Really don't want to get my hopes up, this is going to be my kids DD so no corners cut.

Good news is that the title transferred without crazy fees - it really had been non-opped since 2001.

Comment

Greenish crystallized crap = antifreeze.
                        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Agree with the green crystallized green crap being coolant ingestion but with all plugs removed if it doesn't turn over its not hydrolocked-crystallizing is generally ingestion while running, if it was just leaking into the cyl it would have coolant in the oil and he said it was clear. Pb blaster is the shit btw

Comment

Working...
                          X