Sending Unit wiring for EFI motor/Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending Unit wiring for EFI motor/Tank

Anyone with knowledge on this... Its a long shot...

I have the stock Explorer fuel sending unit/pump in tank and plan to use it in my tank. My question is electrical. There are two electrical connection at the sending unit, with a total of 4 wires actually going into the tank. I don't know and cannot think of what so many wires are for. I assume hot lead for pump, Sending unit for fuel level, gnd,...not sure what else is there. Anyway, only 4 wires go into the tank and I think all I need to identify which wire is which so I can connect them correctly to my guage etc. Anyone know how I can identify which is which...ford schematic I suppose?? See pictures below.

Also, can I connect the fuel level guage up to my stock EB guage and expect it to work right...opperating on the same ohms??

Wires:

Thicker wires:
    Pink with black stripe (My guess...Hot lead for pump)
    Solid black wire (My guess...Gnd)

Thinner wires:
    Yellow wire with white stripe (My guess...Sending unit)
    Black wire with yellow stripe (My guess...Grn for sendind unit)

Anyone know by chance or know where I can look to confirm.
    Attached Files
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: Sending Unit wiring for EFI motor/Tank

Im at the same point. I think it's a sending ground, tank ground (since factory is plastic) sender and pos.

Comment

Just replied to your other post. Again, I'm in the same boat. The second plug was for a fuel tank pressure sensor related to OBD-II. Don't need that.

I took apart that pigtail and removed the second plug. I left the four wires which you mentioned. You're exactly right:

fuel pump hot
      fuel pump ground
      sending unit +
      sending unit ground.

The sending unit ground is terminated on the top portion of the sending unit underneath that rubber grommet. Hope this helps.
      1972 w/Explorer package
      5.0L Explorer EFI motor w/GT40P heads
      M5R2 5 speed trans/NP205 t-case

Comment

You are correct: Pink/Black is fuel pump hot lead from inertia switch
        Black is fuel pump ground
        Yellow/White is sending unit
        Black/Yellow is sending unit ground

I confirmed this on a 96 Explorer 5.0 schematic. I have the same pump/sending unit in the garage, but it seemed like a lot of work. I ended up using a frame mounted pump and stock sending unit.

If you need the schematic, I can email it as the file is to big to attach.
        1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Working...
        X