carb pissing me off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb pissing me off

Holley truck avenger on a stock 302 with an eddelbrock manifold. Stumbles when I floor it and smell like it's rich at idle. If any of you fellas know how to tune one of these things or know someone who does I'd appreciate the help.
    Luke

Re: carb pissing me off

Holley's are easy. Your stumble is most likley an accelerator pump/circuit problem. check to see if the squirters are squirt'n when you work the throttle linkage.no squirt means accel diaphragm bad or ports plugged etc.
    The richness is just from the idle fuel screws in the side of the main metering block out to far. turn in til idle starts to stumble then back out about a qtr turn.
    check your timing too to see if its within specs. about 8* btdc. good luck!
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I ditched my Holley ( not TA) for a rebuilt Motorcraft 2100 and was very happy with the results. Not what you want to hear but you might check it out.

You didn't mention the model - 470,670,etc.. I had a buddy with the same issues and Holley recommended the smaller model for a stock 302 - which one do you have?

Have you called Holley' I think they have a ford nut that knows the TA pretty well and will help.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
        Holley's are easy. Your stumble is most likley an accelerator pump/circuit problem. check to see if the squirters are squirt'n when you work the throttle linkage.no squirt means accel diaphragm bad or ports plugged etc.
        The richness is just from the idle fuel screws in the side of the main metering block out to far. turn in til idle starts to stumble then back out about a qtr turn.
        check your timing too to see if its within specs. about 8* btdc. good luck!
        Ya holley's are easy. Unbolt it and throw it off a cliff. Once it hits bottom get a different carb. I have bought three brand new off the shelf Holley carbs and all three were junk. Blown valves bad gaskets cracked base.
        75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

My Holley didn't suck fuel, it sucked ass! Got rid of it and went TBI from Affordable Fuel Injection. Best upgrade so far! Good luck!
          Leave No One Behind
          KK6AUW

Comment

Mine will stumble when it's cold sometimes I blame it on poor driving habits. Bill at Payless 4WD tuned mine and it runs like a scalded dog.
            Brad
            Chico, Ca.

Comment

So like everone is saying, check the accelator pump.
              It's easiest with the engine off, take the air cleaner off and snap the throttle, you should see a healthy squirt of fuel.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Definitely check the model #. When I bought my red bronco the guy had put a Holley TA 770 on the stock 302! It was way too big. So I replaced it with a Motorcraft out of pick-n-pull and it ran great. Sold the Holley and came out way ahead.
                Last edited by TieWire; 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Vacuum leaks can also cause this. Any over-lean condition will do it, but that can be from leaks, wrong PCV valve, or the accelerator pump as was said.

Check all aspects. The rich smell can be from too lean as well. Seems strange, but with a lean enough mixture, the fuel/air mix won't burn completely. Lean misfire will smell rich too.

And if it's the 470, that could be an issue as well. I don't know why, because that size carb is perfect for a 302, but Holley insists that the larger carb is better for our engines. Plenty of owners saying that a quick return to Holley for the right carb (handled through their customer service center) took care of the issue.
                  But you have to eliminate all the other variables first.

Paul
                  Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                  www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                  68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
                    Vacuum leaks can also cause this. Any over-lean condition will do it, but that can be from leaks, wrong PCV valve, or the accelerator pump as was said.

Check all aspects. The rich smell can be from too lean as well. Seems strange, but with a lean enough mixture, the fuel/air mix won't burn completely. Lean misfire will smell rich too.

And if it's the 470, that could be an issue as well. I don't know why, because that size carb is perfect for a 302, but Holley insists that the larger carb is better for our engines. Plenty of owners saying that a quick return to Holley for the right carb (handled through their customer service center) took care of the issue.

Paul
                    I had the 470 on it at first cause it seemed like a good match. But it still had the same symptoms. I called Holley and like you said they recommended the 670. The swapped me out for the 670 free of charge and I still have the same
                    problems. Everything ran great with the stock manifold and carb. So maybe I need to dig into the vaccume system. Where should I hook up the vaccume gauge and what should I be looking for numbers wise.
                    Thanks for the help
                    Luke

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post

Paul
                      OK I grabbed a couple of beers and checked it out tonight.
                      The vaccume was a steady 16 pounds. when I put the carb on I got a new air cleaner and had a hell of a time routing the crankcase vent hose to it, kind of had a kink in it. Anyways I ran it tonight without the air cleaner and it ran great, no stumble at all. Do you guys think the kink in the vent hose to the air cleaner was limiting the air flow to the pcv valve and screwing up the vaccume. Cause it runs great now.
                      Luke
                      Last edited by Luke; 10-05-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Could the air cleaner be holding the choke closed? Had that happen once with an aftermarket one, Edelbrock I think, it was hitting the linkage on the right side top, not the choke plate. JL
                        '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Got any pics of your setup Luke?

Paul
                          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

PCV Valves do go bad
                            Brad
                            Chico, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                            X