Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydroboost Astro Van

6Daze??? You have this set up right....see below

I have the astro van booster with the flat mounting plate and am hoping to mount it to the firewall using the stock EB brake pedal location and clear the explorer intake...we'll see. Anyone know if it will?

I grabbed the astro van master cylinder too. I have Disc/Disc with Ford big brakes front and Chevy 3/4 ton 14 bolt caliper rear, but I think the master cylinder for the astro van was Disc/Drum. I didn't grab the proportioning valve/H block or whatever it was that I saw with it and left behind. Will I need a residual valve for the rear? Should I go back and get that valve/block? Anything else?

People who have done the astro van...how's the brake pedal feel...soft...short...are you happy with it?

Is there any booster that bolts up to the stock eb brake location and clears the explorer intake?
    Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM.
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: 6Daze...Astro Van Booster questions...anyone

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
    6Daze??? You have this set up right....see below

I have the astro van booster with the flat mounting plate and am hoping to mount it to the firewall using the stock EB brake pedal location and clear the explorer intake...we'll see. Anyone know if it will?

I grabbed the astro van master cylinder too. I have Disc/Disc with Ford big brakes front and Chevy 3/4 ton 14 bolt caliper rear, but I think the master cylinder for the astro van was Disc/Drum. I didn't grab the proportioning valve/H block or whatever it was that I saw with it and left behind. Will I need a residual valve for the rear? Should I go back and get that valve/block? Anything else?

People who have done the astro van...how's the brake pedal feel...soft...short...are you happy with it?

Is there any booster that bolts up to the stock eb brake location and clears the explorer intake?
    Yes Astro MC is for Disc-drum
    I did install with 77 angle bracket and EBay pivot. No cutting of Master shaft, easy to make repairs in field
    Use manual adjust proportioning valve
    No residual with rear disc or the brakes will drag...
    Brake pedal is firm with Astro MC, larger bore than stock Ford (1.25" vs. 1") I think...
    It will put you through the windshield if not paying attention! I have locked up all 4 35" because of morrons. Gets their attention quick when they hear that sound
    See Ransil's post on Hydroboost on Classic, my pictures/comments/questions are there

Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Re: Hydroboost Astro Van

I have the astro hydro but wih corvette disc disc master cylinder. I did mount it straight to the fire wall but it took some fabrication. Had to move the mounting location towards the fender to clear the EFI. Had to move/modify the pedal support that runs from the firewall to the dash since moving the booster towards the fender it ran dead center with the support bracket leg. Then you have to modify the rod to jog over to compensate for the new location of the booster. Works well but definately was not easy. The angled bracket 904Bronco is speaking of is easier and less fab.

Comment

Yes I do. I made a new plate that bolts to the firewall. I also incorporated the ZF clutch pedal as well. This moved the booster over 1/4 to 1/2". I drilled new holes in the firewall for the booster. It clears everything with no mods to the brake rod.
        71 Bronco
        EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Keep us updated.

I am about to put hydro boost on mine as soon as I install all the clutch/brake assembly under dash for manuel tranny swap.

Master cylinder off now and will be putting hydro on soon.
          What can I fix next?

Comment

When I did my astroboost, I cut about an inch off of my 5.0L car plenum and had Sillyfab weld a piece of aluminum plate to it. With the extra clearance I was able to fit the hydroboost, GM truck master cylinder and still have room while using the stock hole in the firewall. Since then I have gone back to manual brakes because of issues between the hydroboost and ram assist steering.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
              Yes I do. I made a new plate that bolts to the firewall. I also incorporated the ZF clutch pedal as well. This moved the booster over 1/4 to 1/2". I drilled new holes in the firewall for the booster. It clears everything with no mods to the brake rod.
              So it will not clear without some fabrication/changes. Which master cylinder did you use? Disc/disc? Disc/drum?

I'm disc/disc...do I have to have a disc/disc MC?

Would the stock clutch and NP 435 work with your plate?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                When I did my astroboost........................................ .... Since then I have gone back to manual brakes because of issues between the hydroboost and ram assist steering.
                I have ram assist too. I'll be using the explorer extreme duty pump and a 4x4x2 box... What issues are you having?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer 71 View Post
                  I have the astro hydro but wih corvette disc disc master cylinder. I did mount it straight to the fire wall but it took some fabrication. Had to move the mounting location towards the fender to clear the EFI. Had to move/modify the pedal support that runs from the firewall to the dash since moving the booster towards the fender it ran dead center with the support bracket leg. Then you have to modify the rod to jog over to compensate for the new location of the booster. Works well but definately was not easy. The angled bracket 904Bronco is speaking of is easier and less fab.
                  Is the corvette MC expensive? What year? Sounds like you jogged...bent...the rod to compensate for the relocation, Yes? So about 1/4"...1/2"...? Does the corvette MC clear hood easily...think it would using the factory angled bracket? Pics? I would appreciate it so I can see the MC and their reseviors... Email go2camp@att.net
                  Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-09-2012, 10:17 AM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

To summerize... This is what I think is the case. I can avoid almost all fabrication with:

1) Flat mount style Astro Van booster
                    2) Master cylinder...ideally for me a disc/disc version...corvette
                    3) The factory angled bracket that sells for about 120.00

Other stuff...

The proportioning valve. I have one I bought years back that I can connect to the rear line. Do I need anything beyond that?

What did you guys do for a porportioning valve?

Are you guys running ram assist and a 4x4x2 box...that's what I hope to do and drive it with the WH extreme Duty Explorer pump. Think it will work?
                    Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
                      So it will not clear without some fabrication/changes. Which master cylinder did you use? Disc/disc? Disc/drum?

I'm disc/disc...do I have to have a disc/disc MC?

Would the stock clutch and NP 435 work with your plate?
                      Yes, some changes are required. Sorry if I am cluttering your thread if you dont want to make any mods. Let me get back to you on the MC. It has been so long since i had the stock clutch that I dont know what would fit.

Pics attached.
                      First pic is clearance between booster and Explorer manifold.

Second pic is fire wall. Yellow arrows are the existing bolts, red are for the new booster (one is hidden behind a bracket) and the blue arrow is the Astro booster (moved over slightly). I enlarged the hole with a dremel.

The brake rod looks bent but its just the picture. Wow, I need to clean up my firewall!
                      Attached Files
                      71 Bronco
                      EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

So you were able to mount it...looking at the firewall picture...and line up with the stock brake rod. It doesn't look like you moved it over much at all. Am I not getting it?

It sure looks close to the intake. Does it rub from engine torque?
                        Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Didnt move it much, maybe 1/4" over and slightly down. You are correct.

No rubbing with engine torque. Only PITA to get that fitting on...
                          71 Bronco
                          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Working...
                          X