Valve Covers Carb to EFI...Powered by Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Covers Carb to EFI...Powered by Ford

I have a set of classic valve covers for a carb's 302 and they are the nice "Powered by Ford" cast aluminum valve covers. I can sell these and buy the EFI's that only have a sealed oil filler hole, but I was wondering if anyone here has found a way to seal these up on one side and add a sealable oil filler hole on the other side? Fungus...Thought this might be up your alley?

I know about these grommets at summit, but they still leave me needing a sealable oil filler cap/neck... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6892-F/

Last...WH has a set of Bronco Script valve covers for 139.00, but they don't say if they fit EFI or what the other cover has for holes if any. There is a oil fill neck on one side. Any own these one and can say. I'd call WH, but it's Saturday.

THanks
    Attached Files
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: Valve Covers Carb to EFI...Powered by Ford

It's not only about sealing, but depending on your EFI setup, they might not even fit physically under the upper intake.
    Ours and your existing ones.

I'm not 100% sure of course, but I am about 94.365% sure.
    Do you have enough hood clearance (body lift?) for a spacer between the upper and lower?

Paul
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I like those covers.

Here's the sealable oil filler neck that will work with those grommets:
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400800/

Here's what I would try...
      You can get a pair of those grommets you have linked in your first post but get a pair so that the inside diameter fits PCV valves only. Run a PCV valve from the pass side valve cover to the upper intake (this is how all the truck EFI systems are run) and run the above Trick Flow sealed filler neck in the driver's side cover. You can seal the lower intake PCV boss with a freeze plug (this is how my GT40 Lightning lower is). I'm basically going to do the same exact thing I've described on my 5.8L but I'm going to try and use a set of stock stamped steel truck EFI covers (clearance allowing because they seem abit taller). On mine the driver's side already has a steel sealed filler neck with the vacuum barb and the pass side is setup for the PCV valve.
      Last edited by Fungus232; 10-13-2012, 11:20 PM.
      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

There's a couple of things to think about here.

The early Ford valve covers have the access ports (fill port, PCV hole, whatever) on the LEFT side of the cover. So if you look at the covers, the hole is on the left. (the hole is on the rear of the right bank)

The later Mustang covers put the access hole on the RIGHT. (so its on the front of the right bank...)

The early covers have a twist lock port in both covers, while the later covers have a fill port on only ONE cover. So this means that you have to fill the engine with oil from the Driver's side, instead of the passenger side.

The second thing is to remember that the PCV system requires clean make-up air. So the PCV valve is half of it...you need to provide a source of fresh air to the crankcase. Early Bronco uses the hole in the valve cover on the right rear. Early Mustang uses the fill cap. (either with a mesh filter, or with a hose connected to the air cleaner.) EFI mustang uses vent air from the fill neck to the throttle body vent port.

Third thing is you have to make sure that your covers clear the valve rockers.
        Lastly, the upper plenum on your intake has to clear the valve cover.

Then of course your plenum has to clear your hood.

So after all that...you have to deal with the fact that your valve cover grommet is round...and your valve cover hole has twist lock notches. So those round grommets don't seal...and since you will probably remove the baffles to clear the rockers, the oil will eventually leak out the hole. To seal the slots, you need a grommet like the Ford C7AE-6A892-A (engineering number...P/N is C7AZ-B) This has a 3/4 inch hole for the PCV. (as an aside...if you pull the baffles AND put your PCV valve in the valve cover...then it can squirt oil into the PCV valve, and suck that oil into the engine.)

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
          I like those covers.

Here's the sealable oil filler neck that will work with those grommets:
          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400800/

Here's what I would try...
          You can get a pair of those grommets you have linked in your first post but get a pair so that the inside diameter fits PCV valves only. Run a PCV valve from the pass side valve cover to the upper intake (this is how all the truck EFI systems are run) and run the above Trick Flow sealed filler neck in the driver's side cover. You can seal the lower intake PCV boss with a freeze plug (this is how my GT40 Lightning lower is). I'm basically going to do the same exact thing I've described on my 5.8L but I'm going to try and use a set of stock stamped steel truck EFI covers (clearance allowing because they seem abit taller). On mine the driver's side already has a steel sealed filler neck with the vacuum barb and the pass side is setup for the PCV valve.
          Sweet. That oil fill is the ticket and now I just have to make sure it all will clear the upper intake. I know my covers do clear the upper intake, but I am not sure the Fill neck will or won't get in the way of other things I have planned for that location.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Yeah...the twist lock deal is an issue. I don't have to remove the baffle to clear my rockers. Regardless it leaked with the baffle before and I was always fighting oil spray/dust at both my vent and PCV connections.

Unfortunately, the correct twist lock gromment that James Roney posted is $24.95...per anything I can find on google. Add in the Fill neck at 40.00, and the plug for the lower Explorer PCV intake and tax and shipping and time... The smarter thing looks to be to sell these and buy new correct valve covers. Yeah, I could make it work, but I kind of like the idea of having new ones to match my new engine and...it was a pet peave of mine dealing with the oil spray the old covers always created too. So, new it is and sell these...

Now... Are the WH covers good for EFI...Anyone know. They don't show both covers and I have no idea what the other cover has hole wise if any. I'll call Monday. Just thought someone might know. EDIT EDIT>>> Actually I do see a picture of both covers and the second one does have a hole with a grommet in it. They do claim to clear roller rockers though. 161.00 for gaskets and hardware...hmmm... I'll check summit.

I'd take $80.00 for my old covers.
            Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Hmmmm Cheaper: http://www.neperformancemustang.com/...roducts_id=318

I Still don't think that gromment design will work very well. The first two tabs go in the slots and the you twist...then the other two tabs either sit in the two slots which means its then loose or they sit above the slots and it on the it sits 1/4" above flush???

Here's a stylish way to cap both holes and keep the PCV in the Lower intake. These are made to cap the oil fill holes and look nice...but 17.95 each... I knew they wouldn't leak at all, I might go there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-302-230/

Cheap route:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNN-10066/

EDit... Neither of these will work...why...Because the way the hole is machined into the "Fin'd" top part of the valve cover. The fins won't let the cap sit flat and thus the rubber gasket on the caps will not seal flat and thus...Leak like they always have. I'm done...Buying new valve covers.
              Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-14-2012, 01:04 PM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Well. I discovered that the stock 1986 - 1993 mustang valve covers will clear if you don't have roller rockers. But I learned that using a tall valve cover gasket from Felpro part number 1645 will give you the clearance that I need...but they are $45.00 at summit. So the search continues.

I found these...may just go this route...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-65-345/

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Stock sheet metal valve covers from a 1993 Mustang Cobra will clear pedestal mount 1.6 roller rockers. (factory) But they are really ugly, and getting hard to find.

The Bronco script covers from Wild H should be just right. Any luck on finding out if they will clear your intake?

Also curious what intake you are running. The Explorer upper has a little more space than the Mustang one, and GT-40 spacers are plentiful.

I'm going to have the exact same problem with my 68 Mustang...so anything you learn will be appreciated.

Comment

Pretty sure our valve covers hit some of the uppers. Not 100% sure of the Explorer version, but I think I've heard feedback before that they have hit some.

Paul
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

I have the stock Explorer upper and lower intake. I'm going to try these. There is plenty of room under the intake to clear especially if I remove the two 90 degree elbows that feed the pcv system...which I am relocating anyway. Spacer is 50.00 +...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6000-C302/
                      Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

If going with the PCV in the back of the intake manifold, make sure that yours is the version with the larger baffle plate. Evidently the smaller baffle used on some led to excessive oil consumption by letting it get sucked up into the valve with less control.

I know that's slightly off the subject, but it's roughly related. And it's worth mentioning now, rather than after the fact

Paul
                        Last edited by DirtDonk; 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM.
                        www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
                          I have the stock Explorer upper and lower intake. I'm going to try these. There is plenty of room under the intake to clear especially if I remove the two 90 degree elbows that feed the pcv system...which I am relocating anyway. Spacer is 50.00 +...

Are you running roller rockers, and if so...pedestal mount, or stud mount? I thought that those FMS C302 covers would not work with roller rockers???

Very interested to hear what you find.

James.

Comment

I have 1.6 roller pedestal style roller rockers made by Scorpion.

Also...yes...plenty of hood clearance. Fiberglass ProFlow hood and 2" body

I don't know if you saw it or like the looks of them but these "Canton" valve covers for $152.00 from summit claim to clear roller rockers and still clear the EFI intake. It says that right in the details under "notes"... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-65-345/

I just said...F'it... I want something that looks good and fits so I decided to order a few sets of the ones I think will fit and I liked. I have three sets coming and will pick from them and return the others. Will cost me about 15.00 - 20.00 in shipping but I decided its worth it. I ordered the Canton's above, and two Ford Motorsports versions. One that I think will take a thick gasket to clear the rollers, and the other will fit after I remove the two 90 degre J bends in the upper intake...they are 3.75"s tall. That is the magic number. You can squeeze 3.75" under the explorer intake by removing the J bends on the under side of the Explorer intake. Anyone doing an Explorer EFI swap can remove these and relocate the PCV under the intake because there are several locations to pick under the intake...all but two get capped off...the PCV and one line to the fuel pressure regulator. So, two lines are needed and there are several...8 I think. See here... http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...1&d=1233612187

4" is the typical "Tall" valve cover but a few companies use 3.75' as "tall"...Canton...and even Ford has some that high but it is hard to know exactly how high each is. Most don't provide that detail. I got one set of powder coat blue covers...we'll see if I like them. I'm told these blue one may have just one breather hole, but they weren't sure. Pig in a Poke...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M6582LE302BL/All/
                            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-65-345/

I'll post up my results later...
                            Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
                              ...I decided to order a few sets of the ones I think will fit and I liked. I have three sets coming and will pick from them and return the others. Will cost me about 15.00 - 20.00 in shipping but I decided its worth it...
                              I'm in the market for a set of covers...so please let me know what's left over before you return to Summit.

James.

Comment

Working...
                              X