Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3M weatherstrip adhesive won't bond

Hi all,

I am trying to install lower door weatherstrip and can not get the 3M black adhesive to bond to the rubber. It will bond to the painted metal surface and to my fingers just fine. Any idea's? I cleaned the rubber with brake cleaner first but that didn't help.

Jim

Re: 3M weatherstrip adhesive won't bond

Try light sanding the rubber

Comment

Originally posted by old69bronco View Post
      Try light sanding the rubber
      Thanks, I tried sanding then cleaning with brake cleaner and alcohol still no luck! I am going to try some fancy German adhesive tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim

Comment

I've always used the yellow weatherstrip stuff.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Jim, a little off topic, but how well does your lower door weatherstrip fit the door opening? I had some that was wrong in about every dimension including the little plastic tabs that snap into the holes along the bottom. I tried to make mine work but neither the black nor the yellow stuff was able to hold it in place. I have since removed it and whenever I finish my doors I'll be shopping for better fitting gaskets.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            Jim, a little off topic, but how well does your lower door weatherstrip fit the door opening? I had some that was wrong in about every dimension including the little plastic tabs that snap into the holes along the bottom. I tried to make mine work but neither the black nor the yellow stuff was able to hold it in place. I have since removed it and whenever I finish my doors I'll be shopping for better fitting gaskets.
            The plastic post are a little too small, but other than that I don't see a problem yet.

Comment

When I was running doors, I used C clamps and black silicone to hold the weather stripping in place.
              {o===o}
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Try a heat gun on th rubber first.
                75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Even though the black and yellow 3M elephant snot is supposed to be for weatherstripping (duh) I've had better luck with 3M 80 spray adhesive. It's formulated to resist the plasticizers in various kinds of synthetic rubber. Kind of a PITA with weatherstripping because you have to mask, but the results are worth the trouble. If you try it make sure you spray both the rubber and the metal, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then stick together.
                  1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                  I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Permatex super black weatherstrip adhesive.

Comment

Problem solved!

I found a product called Wurth rubber glue. It brushes on clear and sticks the first time!

Thanks Andrew!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X