Intake manifold sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold sealant

My EFI project is finally underway and as such I'll be replacing my intake manifold. My engine hasn't been apart since Ford put it together and put it into a crate to ship it to me. It has never leaked, anywhere and I want to keep it that way.

So... I have a pair of intake manfold gaskets for where the manifold mates with the heads. I know to eliminate the end gaskets and use Right Stuff there. My question is what to use on the gaskets themselves. I have read a ton of recommendations all over the web. Some say to use the copper spray stuff, others recommend a sealant available at Harley dealers, and so on. What has worked for you?

Thanks and happy new year guys.
    Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Intake manifold sealant

Depends on what kind of gaskets tony. Ones like the blue Fel-pro's will leak if you put anything on them. Mr gasket type, thin coat of Rightstuff on the ends around water passages is all. Good to go!

If you dimple the ends of the block and manifold with a center punch, it will hold the end sealant better too.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Thanks Jeff!
      I was handed these gaskets out of a pile of spares and told "these will work". I have no idea what they are... blackish color and kind of a cardboard texture. I do know they match the intake manifold so I know they're right... but no clue beyond that.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I would toss those and order a pair of FelPro gaskets that have the thin blue line around each intake runner. As Jeff stated, don't put anything on them. I used these when I put mine on years ago and they sealed up great and have never leaked. Can't wait to see this EFI on your Bronco!!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
          I would toss those and order a pair of FelPro gaskets that have the thin blue line around each intake runner. As Jeff stated, don't put anything on them. I used these when I put mine on years ago and they sealed up great and have never leaked. Can't wait to see this EFI on your Bronco!!
          Alrighty you guys have convinced me. FelPro Gaskets for the intake.
          I can't wait to see this EFI on my Bronco either, long overdue. I am off work today and doing a ton of research, may yank the carb intake manifold and dizzy today, we'll see. Need a harness and computer, and a few sensors but I'm getting closer.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I would not use the felpro 1250 as they have been known to fail.
            Jack
            73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Working...
            X