Explorer throttle body question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer throttle body question(s)

Does anybody know if the IAC valve on the Explorer throttle body is 100% compatible with the Mustang IAC valve that your typical A9L, etc computer expects to be controlling?

My EFI harness has a connector for an 89-93 Mustang IAC valve, my TB has the Explorer IAC valve. The wire colors are the same and the connectors very similar but slightly different. I cut a pigtail from the donor Explorer, the connector is easy to disassemble and repin. Just want to make sure they both will work for me.

TIA...
    Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Explorer throttle body question(s)

I used the explorer IAC with a mustang ECU and it works great. As I recall Lars says the explorer one is actually a better part than the mustang one.
    Last edited by pippinmader; 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM.
    Build thread

Comment

Originally posted by pippinmader View Post
      I used the explorer IAB with a mustang ECU and it works great. As I recall Lars says the explorer one is actually a better part than the mustang one.
      Cool. So it's just a repin and move forward. I can't figure out what the internal sockets are but the Mustang pieces don't physically fit into the explorer plug. Might be a simple cut and solder maneuver.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I cut and soldered the mustang pigtail on

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Adding to the chorus...

I've been running an Explorer idle air bypass valve since 2005. A friend who is a long-time Ford tech says it's a better (more reliable) part; I have no reason to doubt him.

If you are unsure of the pin correspondence I have it in my notes somewhere.

On a tangent to that, when you get the engine running, ignore any advice you may have heard about setting the throttle position sensor voltage to ".98 volts or less" at idle.

Instead, once you are satisfied that the thing runs, it's warmed up, and you've gotten the base timing to somewhere around 12 degrees BTDC, pull the connector on the IAB valve. Then adjust the idle down until it barely runs. Plug the IAB connector back in. Be happy.

The ECU controls idle with timing and the IAB valve. But if the base idle is too high, it can't control idle with the valve, and the engine will surge at idle. Some engines are more sensitive to this than others, but all benefit from adjusting it that way other than maybe engines in drag cars.
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Thanks Lars, this sounds simple enough. I am waiting on parts to allow me to complete my fuel system, will figure out valve covers and mount a computer (pretty sure I'm getting Sean's at some point). There is some wiring to do but not much. I may be ready for an EFI help day towards the end of this month, or certainly by early to mid Feb.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Working...
            X