radius arm frame mounts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radius arm frame mounts???

got the front end all torn down and ready to cut the old brackets off. but as i was measuring i noticed that the old brackets are off at least from the point i measured from. theres a set of holes in the frame so I used them as reference points. On the driver side i got 7 1/8 and passenger side I'm getting 6 3/4. I'm guessing the P.O was off but Thought i read somewhere that these bronco frames were off a 1/4 inch somewhere.
    75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Re: radius arm frame mounts???

How does that compare with another known point, such as the center of the coil spring towers?
    They can definitely be off, but I don't know if the holes you're using are any more consistent than the mounts themselves. Mine were "bent" in different directions too, so were off even in angle. Almost looked like a PO had backed over a big rock and pushed the passenger side forward a half-inch or so. But no gouging or other damage is apparent, so it could have been off right from the factory.
    Hmm, maybe it was bent to fix a case of the Bronco-leans? Ya just never know with these things.
    Last edited by DirtDonk; 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM.
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Gotta love that 60's technology... They used a yard stick when built the frames for these broncos!
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
        Gotta love that 60's technology... They used a yard stick when built the frames for these broncos!
        And I think they were all wearing straw hats.
        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

I took a measurements from the radius arm mount to the center of the rear leaf spring bolt and go 23 3/4 on the passenger side and 23 3/8 on the driver

Comment

mine was off the same way. i used the front spring bolt on rear as a ref. point.
            75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

WE had heard about this too so we made sure Justins frame was square then just used the frame ends as reference points.

Yeah his was about a 1/4" off
              72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
              BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
              RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Ok. I just didn't want to over measure and find out that its supposed to be that way an have a bronco that cab walks.

Comment

I bought the extended mounts from Tom's and they located on that frame hole. So even after welding they looked off but after mounting the axles I measured the parallels and both axles were within less than a 1/16 in parallel to each other. So while they looked off they turned out fine.
                  Last edited by Spaceburger; 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM.
                  Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                    I bought the extended mounts from Tom's and they located on that frame hole. So even after welding they looked off but after mounting the axles I measured the parallels and both axles were within less than a 1/16 in parallel to each other. So while they looked off they turned out fine.
                    With curiosity taking over and a bare frame and tape measure at hand I checked the hypotenuse of the frame. 154 inches exactly both points. So, since the frame is square we can be sure it was not made on a Friday. Also checked various other points and all match. Surprised to note that the width in the front is less than the width in the back. Then I noticed that the frame rail box tapers down just behind the front cross brace.
                    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Working...
                    X