Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone made a safari top out of a hard top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made a safari top out of a hard top?

I'm thinking about cutting my hard top (not in great shape) and turning it into somewhat of a safari top. Any pictures or ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Has anyone made a safari top out of a hard top?

Pops did something like that:

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...&postcount=442

It's a cool idea especially given the condition of the (three) hard tops I've had - no real loss in cutting those up!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Gary on the Yahoo email group made one. He said to leave in the roof supports or it will oilcan when on the freeway.

Comment

Broncrick did it and it looks cool. I got a solid but dented top for $50 just to try it out on my son's project, SonOfAGun.
        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Wow, both of those tops look great. I am definitely going to make one out of my top, I just got to figure out which route I want to take.

Comment

I can tell you the wind factor is almost as good as having a full top with the door windows open.. But open and airy. It's really nice to drive and not get blasted or getting the back draft. Way better than even a soft safari top on the roll bar which I had.
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I noticed you cut off the bottom rails completely, does it feel flimsy when taking it on and off?

Comment

Originally posted by thrudrew View Post
                I noticed you cut off the bottom rails completely, does it feel flimsy when taking it on and off?
                No it's not too bad, there's really no strength in the bottom other than tieing the front to the back. And they hold pretty good a long as the inside gussets are in good shape. The b & c pillars on the top are gusseted and as long as they aren't rusted out, it's solid.
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                  No it's not too bad, there's really no strength in the bottom other than tieing the front to the back. And they hold pretty good a long as the inside gussets are in good shape. The b & c pillars on the top are gusseted and as long as they aren't rusted out, it's solid.
                  But how does it fair off road?
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  Originally posted by CityHick
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                    But how does it fair off road?
                    By "off road", do you mean his driveway or front yard? Because technically those are not roads...
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

You might be right. The front yard rock pile deco has eaten 4 broncos over the past years.
                      {o===o}
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                      Originally posted by CityHick
                      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Love mine for the same reasons Pops pointed out. Went through the con last year no prob. I am going to get plexi for the sides to velcro in during wet/snow wheeling
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I was thinking about bending the window tabs in and using that to bolt plexi onto for the winter.

Comment

Working...
                          X