starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issue

61 falcon..battery fully charged..wont turn over..no headlights..it turned over once ..now nothing..any ideas ? 170/200 6 cylinder

Re: starting issue

Originally posted by Nuchi View Post
    61 falcon..battery fully charged..wont turn over..no headlights..it turned over once ..now nothing..any ideas ? 170/200 6 cylinder
    How are your Grounds?
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

They seem ok ill double check them..should there be an extra ground coming
      From negative cable? I know my comet had a ground wire from neg cable that went
      To inner fender

Comment

Can you bypass the starter solenoid (screwdriver across the Batt and ign start lead) and spin the motor over that way? (make sure it is out of gear!)

The solenoid is grounded by how it is mounted to the fender, check that too...
        Clean the Batt terminals? Tap the starter a few times with a hammer, maybe it has a bad spot in the windings.

Is the motor locked up?

Wiggle the Batt cables while someone turns the Ign switch... keep your face away from the Battery while doing!

Auto tranny? Is the neutral safety switch adjusted correctly? Pull up on the shifter while in park or try in neutral.

Just some random thoughts here...

Comment

Tried the bypass it didnt work. Battery is brand new..so terminals are clean..would the starter cause it so lights wouldnt work? i put a new starter in it not too long ago, that could be the issue..it is auto..i tried to start in neutral but nothing..i will try some other stuff tomorrow. thxs for help

Comment

have you checked power on all the wires? at the solenoid, ignition switch etc.
            1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

If the battery is fully charged and it won't crank or the headlights don't light up, you have a battery issue. The good news is it will be close to the battery. Check the cables on the battery, are they tight and clean? Check the cables on the starter solenoid (Where the battery power wire is going to) that is hooked up and tight?
              The ground on the battery, is the other non battery end tight?
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

No power to the lights could be a fuseable link... but not if you crossed the solenoid and it did not spin over ?

Comment

moved the neg wire that grounds on front of block and boom lol..thxs for the help..car been sitting too long..thxs again for all the help..tomorrow i get it to stay idle..not sure if it has bad gas or what..doesnt help that my cousin put a piece of crap throttle cable on it..

Comment

Working...
                  X