X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical advice

Hi,

Looking for some advice on my 76:
    When lights are off, both turn signals work. They blink excessively fast, but they work (is that maybe the blinking relay thingy going bad?)

When I turn headlights on, the left turn signal indicator on the instrument panel turns on solid. Then, when I use either turn signal, they blink incredibly slow.

No other electrical problems, truck runs strong, stars every time, no shorts or battery draining.

thanks
    Curt

Re: Electrical advice

Check the grounds on the turn signal sockets, especially the left front. With no ground there the power from the park filament will "go out" through the turn signal filament with the headlights on, and make the dash indicator come on. The flasher speed will also change since the ground path with no socket ground is through the park filaments on all four corners. Bet you can see the "wrong" side flashing dimly front and rear if you look closely. Could also be a broken ground inside the left front bulb itself, but that's rare. JL
    '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Try using this:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=22

Comment

I have had similar problems on a bronco and on a trailer, in both cases it was the light bulb in the socket. If the ground isn't good between the bulb and the housing it will feed back through the power leg for the other filiment, I suggest new bulbs and cleaning the socket.
        Build thread

Comment

Originally posted by 70 steed View Post
          sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

Thanks guys. I had the truck painted and since reassembly its been having those turn signal problems. I suspect your advice on the grounding is along the right track. Had some bad connections at the turn signal housing which I fix and the excessivly fast blink seems to be fixed. Now investigating under the dash (hard cus I dont fit wel under there) and will report back.

70 Steed: I tried 2 bottles of the blinker fluid but still didnt work. I think because the tampon dispenser is making it short out.
            http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=12

Comment

Working...
            X