Heat Kills!!! Cooling options??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Kills!!! Cooling options??

Right Now I'm using the WH 17" two speed fan that claims to move 2400cfm at high speed. I don't notice ANY temp drop when I manualy switch from low 1800cfm to high2400cfm speed.

My temp is holding just above 200 deg when driving normally without any load. As soon as I start to climb up a hill and put the motor under a load the temp will rise up to about 215 deg. Maybe just a skosh higher. I'd be real happy if I could keep it at a constant 200deg. HEAT KILLS!!!!!

This is a repost from the "Stuff" catagory. Seemed more appropriate under the "Tech" catagory.

I'm curious what you 351W guys are using for your cooling systems. I've got the Ron Davis radiator and the WH 17" fan right now. No shroud, No room. The fan is somewhat shrouded by itself to direct air through it.
    This is a topic I've visited before but it seems like a priority now.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Heat Kills!!! Cooling options??

I run a 5.0 now but before that , a little over 400 hp 351. I use an aftermarket fan shroud and a fixed pitch fan from BC Broncos. Fan blades are set at about half in half out of the shroud. Both motors ran /run in the 180/190's.
    Fixed pitch may make a little more fan noise than a flexible blade fan, but running cool is the most important thing to me. And fixed pitch wont flex into the radiator.
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

My cooling system is pretty similar to yours though I did move my radiator closer to the core support by cutting/notching the sheet metal and moving the radiator mounts around a little. Hard to explain. I also added some high temp self-adhesive weatherstripping around where the radiator meets the core support so as to force more air through the radiator. I run the same WH 2-speed fan with a fan controller from Ron Francis wiring. I used to run it at the high speed no matter what (that's the way I had it wired) but since going to the Ron Francis controller I am able to set the turn on points for low speed and then 10 degrees higher it kicks over to the high speed. I know that my fan cycles between high and low speeds while driving and its never gone much over 195 degrees even in the worst of conditions.

Though now that I say this, if I ever start driving/wheeling the thing again it'll probably cook itself. Haha.

Good luck.
      Last edited by CityHick; 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I have the exact same setup, and same issue. Ive been thinking about going to a ron davis shroud and a 7 bladed metal fan
        David Rowe
        '74 Bronco Ranger, 351W w/ FiTech Injection, ZF5 5sp, Titan Blackbox Underdrive to Np205 TCase, Full Width Hi Pinion 44 & Ford 9" w/ disks, 4x4x2 w/ hydro steer, 23 Gallon Tank, Protofab bumpers and on-board air.

Comment

I do know and understand that a shroud is paramount. I think I'm going to find a way to shroud my fan and or radiator before changing setups completely. Get as much air as possible directed through the radiator and not around it.

Comment

I will be going to a Taurus fan and this new controller.
            http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcat...&SearchAll=4x4 OffRoad

Not cheap, 275$
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Small water pump pulley from March.

Aluminum Rad

Mark 8 or Cougar fan (tight fit, requires cutting fan shroud and cutting and moving core support forward as far as you can). Pulls over 4000 CFM and some are two speed fans.

Do this modification to evacuate the stagnant hot water from the rear of the motor.

http://classicbroncos.com/manifold_cooling.shtml

I did all these on a high compression 351 and after it held 180 all day long. The fan mods are a pain, but well worth it. Plus the fan is 35 bucks at the PnP.

I like this controller too. I put one on my Firebird pushing the Mark 8 fan. I like it mostly because its a varible speed controller with a ramp up (slow start) which really reduces the start-up AMP draw.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                I will be going to a Taurus fan and this new controller.
                http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcat...&SearchAll=4x4 OffRoad

Not cheap, 275$
                Lol not cheap is right. Did you win the powerball or something?

Ive used the super cheap controllers before with the push in style radiator probe and honestly, looks was the only problem i had with it. Then the ron davis one which works the same but looks way better.

Both times running a junkyard volvo fan at around 4k cfh
                Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

I just installed a shroud on my bronco running a 17 inch flex fan and a 2 core champion radiator. The shroud kept me under 185 all day on the trail, before the shroud it was getting hot up to 215 all things being equal except the shroud.

Comment

Originally posted by pipelayer View Post
                    I just installed a shroud on my bronco running a 17 inch flex fan and a 2 core champion radiator. The shroud kept me under 185 all day on the trail, before the shroud it was getting hot up to 215 all things being equal except the shroud.
                    I'd like to see pics of your shroud. It sounds like you are using an engine driven fan which would make sense with a shroud. I'm using an electric fan and there isn't really anything to shroud. The fan is already encased in a housing. The only place I can see to put any kind of sheet metal would be in the front to direct all of the air through the radiator and not around it.
                    Last edited by FLYINHIE; 08-11-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380482-sh

This is the shroud I have we cut it with the plasma and needed to cut the bottom a little to fit with my boddy lift and to slip it over the fan. I dident need the round piece because my fan is only about a inch from the radiator.

Comment

Update: I went to Hell Hole this weekend and was having heating issues about half way up getting to the trail. Didn't end up wheeling the 4x4 trail but did some backwoods driving/hunting/scouting. Heat issues got worse. Got it home Ok, hopefully without any engine damage from excess heat. All seems to be working correctly BUT time to tackle this head on. I pulled the thermostat. It was a 195 thermo. I tested it in a pot of boiling water and it opened about an 1/8"- 3/16" max. Picked up a new 180 thermostat and tested it and it opened almost a 1/2". I also ran the hose through the system to see if I was getting some blockage somewhere. Water flowed fast and free. I am waiting for the permagasket to cure but I suspect that my heating issue will be resolved. If not I will go to a high CFM fan to get more air to pull heat off that radiator. SO, moral of the story: Just because it's a new part doesn't mean it's going to work correctly.
                        Fingers crossed that I will run consistantly in the 195 range.
                        Look at the pics. Right one is 195 degree and is barely open the left one is 180 new and is fully open.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It should run at *180 consistantly now
                          Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Nope......Idled it up and it's still at 200. Reved it and held it at 3000 RPM and it climbed toward 210. Opened the radiator cap and I'm getting good coolant circulation. Keep in mind that that is sitting still behind a fence with no other air circulation other than what the fan provides. In my mind that shouldn't make any difference. It should still be at MAX 195 degrees. DAMN thought I tracked down the gremlin. Well bigger fan I guess. Something to pull the heat off the aluminum radiator quicker. Unless someone else has any ideas.
                            I need to find some way to see/check that my mechanical temp gauge is accurate too.
                            Last edited by FLYINHIE; 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

heat gun?

Comment

Working...
                              X