Dana 20 very hard to shift! (T shift)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 20 very hard to shift! (T shift)

I converted to the WH twin sticks hoping it would ease shifting.The truck is locked front and rear so I assume that doesnt help. I keep it in low, it literally wont come out of gear and I cant unlock the hubs unless the tire is off the ground. Any suggestions?
    Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Have you tried shifting while it is rolling slowly in neutral? Another trick that makes TC's shift real smoothly is to add slick 50 engine oil additive to the TC. We used to do this to truck pullers that ran taller front R & P to make them steer straight, but made it impossible to shift the TC. With slick 50 added they shifted easily.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I just have reg. gear oil in it. I have tried shifting while rolling.Most of the time neither stick will move.

Originally posted by highlander
      Have you tried shifting while it is rolling slowly in neutral? Another trick that makes TC's shift real smoothly is to add slick 50 engine oil additive to the TC. We used to do this to truck pullers that ran taller front R & P to make them steer straight, but made it impossible to shift the TC. With slick 50 added they shifted easily.

Comment

same with me i hated that old T stick

ya what used to do is put the truck in reverse for 10 feet and push in the clutch and shift the T case into Nuetral...
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I have the T also and have the same problem.. I will be converting to twinsticks soon... But the problem is from the front and rear lockers.. They lock in and don't let go.. Getting them to release is the tricky part.. Yes the reverse trick seems to work most of the time.. or just coasting in Neutral should relax the bind.. Aaron
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

After I switched to a twin stick, my transfer case shifted great. Oh yeah... that's because I swapped in an Atlas II... ...
            1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
            I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
              After I switched to a twin stick, my transfer case shifted great. Oh yeah... that's because I swapped in an Atlas II... ...

I'm just jealous!

Comment

I guess I'll take out the shifter and just put a 4WD Knob selector in there!! NOT!!

Comment

Looking at your sig, it says you have 5.38 gears.
                  9 inchs have 5.43 or 5.29 or the old 5.33
                  The 44 front should be 5.38.
                  What are you rear gears?
                  reguardless, you are damn close to the 5% gear difference in both axles, no case you put in will be easier to shift, you just have to much difference in gear ratios front to back.

I would just drive, and keep pulling on the front stick until it pop's out.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Good point, I bought my gears from Complete offroad. Their add for the 9" and reverse cut 44 are "both" 5.38 (5.43) so I'm not sure?

Originally posted by welndmn
                    Looking at your sig, it says you have 5.38 gears.
                    9 inchs have 5.43 or 5.29 or the old 5.33
                    The 44 front should be 5.38.
                    What are you rear gears?
                    reguardless, you are damn close to the 5% gear difference in both axles, no case you put in will be easier to shift, you just have to much difference in gear ratios front to back.

I would just drive, and keep pulling on the front stick until it pop's out.

Comment

As I said earlier add about half a bottle of slick 50 to your transfer case oil and you will be amazed how much easier it shifts!
                      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                        As I said earlier add about half a bottle of slick 50 to your transfer case oil and you will be amazed how much easier it shifts!

Thanks, I'll let everybody know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                        X