X-fer Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-fer Case

Maybe looking for a trans case. Have a wicked vibration coming from under my seat on the 74. Vibe starts at about 45-50 MPH. Stops/lessens during coasting. Disapears when placed in nuetral at any speed.
    From a standing start there is an audible, rotational squeeke/squeele that disapears as the speed rises above about 10+/-mph. Know it's a matter of time before something gives.

It's a J shift behind a C4. Thoughts? Good time to go wityh a T shift? Does it matter? Rebuild?
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Re: X-fer Case

Check to see if either of the yokes have come loose. I would also check all the ujoints
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Was hoping it was a D shaft. That's simple and quick. I have 3 in the garage.
      D shaft is nice and tight. Maybe go AOD and T shift over C4 and J shift.

Ideas?

It's just I have a 1 ton conversion on mine and no time for either.

Crap
      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

i was thinking dshaft also

Comment

check your centering yoke on the driveshaft. my front ds was doing the same thing

Comment

Are trans and tcase mounts all good?

Comment

Climbed under it last night after work. Everything looked good. Can't work on it till next week. Then I'm going to tear into it. Hope it's something like a mount bushing or D shaft. Dont want to deal with a Xfercase rebuild.

Comment

Tony, I'm not sure you would feel a vibration from a failed T-Case. I would thing grinding noise, etc. But who knows, right?

It's a remote possibility, but check your new links, brackets, etc. Sure sounds like u-joints and/or axle wrap to me.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I dont think it's the T case either. Could be the output bearing, or D shaft. That's the starting point anyways.
                  Either way. the squeel is rotational. Picking up rotational sounding speed/pitch as the truck picks up speed till about 15 mph or so with vibration kicking in at about 45/50 mph..

I think I'll start by pulling the rear shaft and driving on the front end to try and recreate the problem. Go from there.

Comment

I had a vibration that I lived with for a little while. Checked yolk's and d shaft. Went on the Rubicon, Broke off the output shaft. I replaced with a heavy duty output shaft. No more vibes. Imagine that. Magic.

Comment

I usually use problems to justify upgrades, like most of us. Just not sure if I want to sink money into a J shift T case.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
                        I usually use problems to justify upgrades, like most of us. Just not sure if I want to sink money into a J shift T case.

Thoughts?
                        Are you going to wheel it ?
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

basic trails. Nothing major. That's what my pig is for. Still want it to be capable. Just not crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
                            basic trails. Nothing major. That's what my pig is for. Still want it to be capable. Just not crazy.
                            Just pattern it after Lars bronco and you will be golden.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

So,

Atlas
                              Ect
                              Ect
                              Ect

Missing anything?
                              Love to do that. May need a second job instead of trying to figure out retirement.........

Comment

Working...
                              X