No announcement yet.

np435 clutch fork and throwout bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• np435 clutch fork and throwout bearing?

Trying to complete my np435 swap and found that my clutch fork keeps slipping off the tabs on the brand new NAPA auto throwout bearing. I had everything installed and the fork was between the clutch and bearing. Once corrected will it keep falling off or will it stay put?
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: np435 clutch fork and throwout bearing?

Hmmm, that's no good. Sounds like it may be a faulty clutch fork. Had you mated the two while they were out of the bronco to see if it fit correctly? I have heard of the "feet" on the clutch fork breaking off, usually during installation. Are you able to remove the clutch fork without dropping the tranny? But once everything is in place, it shouldn't slip off (unless something is broken).
    1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

I needed to order my throughout bearing three times from napa before one showed up that looked close enough to work. I had the old one to compare it to.

Comment

The new one looks the same as the old one just the tabs on the TO bearing are really loose and don't grab the fork with much resistance.

Comment

I've got a bell housing with shift fork and bearing if you want the hole thing it's yours

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
            ...I had everything installed and the fork was between the clutch and bearing. Once corrected will it keep falling off or will it stay put?
            Not sure if anyone can answer that. Well, I can't anyway, but someone else may have had this issue before and know for sure.
            But since you installed it backwards, that alone might be causing the problem. And once you reverse them it might be just fine.
            I guess the only thing that could keep it from working right is if the clips were damaged while it was installed this way.

You should be able to test it I would think though. With the trans out and the bell-housing bolted up to it, you should be able to easily check it's action by cycling it back and forth by hand.

It means removing the whole assembly though, which would suck. But if the TO bearing itself is reversed, you don't really have a choice. If the bearing is on correctly though, and it was only the fork that was backwards, then you may just have to reverse it and try it to find out.

Good luck. Hopefully someone will have experienced this before, but I don't remember ever hearing of it happening quite like you describe.

Paul
            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Bearing was never backwards it was the right way, just the fork slipped off and landed between bearing and clutch. The tabs have always been really loose even when I pre tested it after buying it from NAPA

Comment

The TO bearing clips to the fork, the fork clips into the bellhousing, the Trans has a sleeve on the front that is around the input shaft that the TO bearing rides on and slides back and fourth. How are you screwing this up??? It's basic as hell !!! Pictures would help a lot to figure out your problem. I have never had a fork come off a bearing unless the fork tang or bellhousing bracket is busted.

The clips on the bearing arn't real tight on the fork BTW.
                Last edited by TBS-POPS; 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM.
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Like Pops said, the TO bearing should slide on the round sleve that goes around the input shaft, and the clutch forks should be held to the bell housing so it cant move in and out, so the clips really don't do much except pull the TO bearing back when the clutch is engaged. It is worth noting that there are two different clutch forks: Bail style and tab style. Your bellhousing has to match your clutch fork style (or more specifically the little clutch fork bracket has to match your clutch fork)
                  Last edited by pippinmader; 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM.
                  Build thread

Comment

Working...
                  X