Aero Fuel tank - Pump install???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aero Fuel tank - Pump install???

So I started to set up my EFI fuel tank today for my 68 and I got stopped by the fuel pump mounting. Aero is closed on Fridays so I have to wait until Monday.
    Here are pictures of my 77 EFI tank install...

Followed by 3 pictures of the 68 tank that I tried setting up...
    This just does not look right to me having the pump not mounted squarely to the base.

Glad I am technically not in a hurry. Frustrating just the same

Rick E. You and I are the only ones who bought EFI tanks last mass buy... Be sure to take a look at yours!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Re: Aero Fuel tank - Pump install???

Wasn't extremely excited about how mine mounted either. But I don't remember it looking like that.

Paul
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I sent them an e-mail with pictures asking for what I had last time...

Comment

the plate that the pump is connected to looks elliptical. It also looks like the pump support is welded to the short end of the ellipse. If the plate was rotated 180 degrees it would have clearance to allow the pump to mount squarely.

I am guessing it was manufactured incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by slow poke View Post
          the plate that the pump is connected to looks elliptical. It also looks like the pump support is welded to the short end of the ellipse. If the plate was rotated 180 degrees it would have clearance to allow the pump to mount squarely.

I am guessing it was manufactured incorrectly.
          I noticed that too Dave...

Comment

Hey Doug,

Couple of things on your pump install:

1. Looks like the pump plate was welded on 180 degrees out. If you want, I can weld on for you the other direction. Won't take long.

2. Watch out for that rubber hose between the pump and the discharge tube. If you do not absolutely KNOW where it came from, and who made it...I urge you to buy a new one that you can trust. The original NWMP in-tank EFI pumps came with hose that the outer jacket could not withstand oxygenated fuel. The INNER jacket was rated for the fuel, but the outer jacket disintegrated. This allowed the inner reinforcement to fail, and the inner jacket was then unsupported...causing an anuerysm and a crappy failure. It took about 18 months in my Bronco to die.

3. You might want to take a swedge tool and bubble the inlet end of the discharge tube. From the pic it looks like it is just straight tube. A properly designed EFI hose barb will have a little bump so that the hose will not work its way off. It's easy and fast right now...so cheap insurance.

Good luck,
            James.

Comment

Doug, mines still wrapped in plastic, but I am just a couple weeks out from install, post up a link to the pump please and same me some time
              I will look at it today....
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                Doug, mines still wrapped in plastic, but I am just a couple weeks out from install, post up a link to the pump please and same me some time
                I will look at it today....
                Precision fuel pumps - O'Rielly's (Brother works there and said it was a good unit) #E16075

Fuel sock #S13004

It should be a factory replacement type for 88-93 5.0 Mustang - 88 liters per hr

Thanks James for the offer... I have a busy week at work this week and then SEMA the following week... Not sure I will get to pick this up again, some time in Nov. I will see what Aero does about it...
                Last edited by 904Bronco; 10-27-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Aero's response was they would send me a new bottom plate to weld on...

I asked for as complete unit, so there is less work for me to do. We will see what their response is to that?

Comment

And now the tank does not fit right... It needs spaced down even though it is supposed to be set up for my 1 inch body lift...

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                      And now the tank does not fit right... It needs spaced down even though it is supposed to be set up for my 1 inch body lift...
                      Sounds familiar. I had a similar thing happen with my aerotank, the mounting points were welded too low. Their comment was cut off and reweld them.

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                        Sounds familiar. I had a similar thing happen with my aerotank, the mounting points were welded too low. Their comment was cut off and reweld them.
                        Their Customer service on this one so far... the fitting issue and the $50 price increase this year on the tank probably means we have done our last Mass Buy...

Comment

Mounts were the same issue on mine if you remember. Not only were they welded on (I'd requested loose mounts so I could weld them) but they were positioned for a body lift!
                          Since I thought cutting them off would look crappy, I figured I'd just make spacers.

Not that spacers are the cleanest of solutions either though, so maybe I'll end up cutting them off anyway.

Let's get them both together on Thursday Doug, and have someone fix them for us!

Paul
                          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

A very large shout out of thanks to James 'The Dr" Rooney. He made repairs to my fuel pump mount.

Aero sent me a replacement plate, but the center hole was too big = not usable. We ended up reusing the 1st plate that was installed backwards (180 degrees out). No response to my problem about the mounting brackets in the wrong position...... so I made spacers

I guess Aero has lost some future business
                            Last edited by 904Bronco; 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Good job James! glad you worked it out Doug.Just got my pump and sock, so time to cut the plastic off and get to work
                              68 Slightly modified
                              67 LUBR once again
                              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X