aftermarket frame vin ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket frame vin ??

Im starting a new build and looking at an aftermarket frame. It is a 72 tub with glove vin and door post vin and currently registered. If I use an aftermarket frame what is require? Do I get the CHP involved or stamp it with the vin myself or shouldn't worry. Anyone do this before?

Re: aftermarket frame vin ??

CHP could not find the VIN on my frame as there is not one. He just let it pass. If you just have the receipt for the frame there is no problem. The VIN on the frame is required for new factory vehicles, not custom builds. One man's opinion.
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

True ^ if you have a vin and a title on the body they don't look for the one on the frame

Comment

There were number stamped on my frame but not the VIN, they were unreadable and looked like they were done with number stamps and a hammer. Not very high tech and easy to copy... I would imagine with some number stamps a small piece of steel and welder you could add a VIN plate to any frame. Someday I'd like to start building custom frames. I would steer clear of the frame that bronco graveyard sells... I've heard those flex a lot.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

That was the exact frame I was looking at...I haven't been able to find any reviews on them. I understood it was an Throttle down Kustom frame . who else makes frames?
          Last edited by camp9k; 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I think what makes the factory Bronco frames so rigid is that they're made up of two "U" shaped pieces of 1/8" steel that are overlapping and welded down the entire length. The aftermarket frame is made of 3" x 4" rectangle tube that is hydroformed to the same profile as the stock frame. I can only guess that without the full length welds down each side of the frame rails that it is allowed to flex and twist. There was another company that used to make Bronco and Jeep frames called Matkins, but they went out of business years ago.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I dont know how much jim wants for them but Wildhorses has a STACK of frames in the back room. might give him a call.
              72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
              BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
              RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Build your own.....
                Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Not a bronco but I built a Rhino from the ground up. It was an old frame I sand blasted then powder coated. The sand blasting wiped the vin off the frame. CHP looked at the frame and re-vin'ed the Rhino with a riveted vin and the original numbers. The supporting forms proved it was not stolen.

Now when I took the paperwork to DMV to get a pink and register the folks at DMV didn't know what a Rhino was. I ended up making a second trip with the Rhino and they registered it as a dune buggy.

Comment

What's a Rhino look like?
                    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                      What's a Rhino look like?
                      http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45343...=300&h=300&p=0
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Hope they didn't weld the bung hole up on that thing.
                        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

ya...imagine asking it to stand still so you can hit it with a hammer
                          Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

It probably wouldn't feel a hammer unless it was a BFH... They have really thick hides!

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                              I dont know how much jim wants for them but Wildhorses has a STACK of frames in the back room. might give him a call.
                              Not sure what else is in the back, frame-wise, but the "stack-o-frames" just inside the shop doors are not for sale.
                              They represent several different years of production so if we need to test fit something to see if it fits with minor variations, it's easy enough to do.
                              Or if someone says that a part doesn't fit their truck, we can check it against one of our own frames of a specific year.

Still though, if anyone does need a stock frame or other stuff, it never hurts to ask if we have some in the back. Just not those...

Paul
                              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
                              X