1996 explorer swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 explorer swap

Im building a new bronco and getting mine ready to sell next year. I just picked up a 96 explorer 5.0 motor that is in a crate like the one in the picture. I currently have 5.0 setup in my current bronco with an aftermarket wiring harness and a a9L computer with a c4. I know I can use my current headers and I will need to get all the accessories up front figured out. To make it run can I hook up my harness drop in a mustang distributor and install a calibrated mass air sen and run it? I know nothing about the non distributor stuff?
    Attached Files

Re: 1996 explorer swap

I have a gt-40 intake on my current engine so i know i need to tap for the act sensor...I will eliminate my erg...mainly wondering about the distributor ?

Comment

I am going distributorless, go to Classic and look for the thread from EFI Guy... He can repop your harness and reflash the computer... Garry does great work. I hope to have mine running in a few months

You can drop a distributor into the motor... There are some issues: clearance of the TFI and the Explorer accessories. ACT location in the manifold or somewhere in the inlet piping. Some broncos the passenger side Explorer front dress bracket may have clearance issues with the cross frame. Radiator choice - stock or inlet/outlet switched and then which hoses to use... It is all well documented on Classic. Doug
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Great info on classic...got me thinking!

Comment

I put that exact motor in mine. As previously mentioned you'll need to clearance the driver side bracket a little to clear the TFI. Not a huge deal. also, there's a smaller pulley you can use on the lower pass side to gain clearance if you're not using the taller motor mounts. let me know if you need the part number. It's on classic as well. any questions just ask!
            1972 w/Explorer package
            5.0L Explorer EFI motor w/GT40P heads
            M5R2 5 speed trans/NP205 t-case

Comment

Working...
            X