4x4x2 steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4x2 steering box

Just was hoping to get some feedback on the best way to instal on the frame, should I use west coast broncos adapter plate or weld reinforce plates and notch the cross member, not sure if one way is better than the other, i know from research they both have plus and minus, I have a 66 with 5.5 lift tro steering any input would help, thanks Marshall

Re: 4x4x2 steering box

WCB or BCB adaptor plate welded on which stiffens frame too. OR you can get a piece of 1/2" plate, cut out the frame and inset/weld to maintain stock frame width then drill and tap holes in plate to mount box.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by marshall View Post
      Just was hoping to get some feedback on the best way to instal on the frame, should I use west coast broncos adapter plate or weld reinforce plates and notch the cross member, not sure if one way is better than the other, i know from research they both have plus and minus, I have a 66 with 5.5 lift tro steering any input would help, thanks Marshall
      ive got one of those plates never used, just kicked around the garage for a year or so.
      $50

http://www.wcb4x4.com/mm5/merchant.m...uct_Code=20740

I could possibly meet you halfway as im in tracy
      Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

It's also a good idea to sleeve the holes to reduce the chance of crushing the frame.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

With my TRO AND 4x4x2 box, I had to move it fwd about 1.5" or so. I was REALLY close to hitting DL vs TR at full stuff an left turn. Moving it caused me to cut into to rad support and lengthen the steering shaft a bit but was an easy fix.

Mounting it: I made a "C" with 1/4" plate that slid over top of the frame where one side was a little taller in order to support the box itself. It's pretty stout and prob overkill ( added a x-member as well when I went hyd steer too).
          Last edited by FFMDX; 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM.
          '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

I am not a fan of the adapter plate from WCB... I had one and sent it back. If you bolt it on, re-torque the mounting bolts frequently. Ask a few guys on this site about what happens when they are even a little loose.. major torque on the frame with a box that's not tightly secured to it is bad news.
            Our (least) favorite vendor doesn't seem to list their plate anymore, not that I could find in a minute or two of searching. All it is, is a 3/16" plate that matches the shape of the frame and is match-drilled for the factory steering box AND has holes for the 4x4x2 drilled that you can use as a template to drill through the frame with. That plus spacers inside the frame (and that plate welded to the frame) is a pretty good start.
            A friend of mine bought that plate. I borrowed it before he mounted his, cut my own version of it out of 3/8" plate, match drilling their holes and welded that to my frame. I still run the EB Power Steering box, but the idea is the same.

Then there are the others who have plated their frames inside and out with thick stock, drilled their own holes. That in my opinion is THE way to go and I will plate the inside of my frame one day to match the outside.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Pretty sure I have a template on a piece a 12 pack box. I can check tomorrow and make a copy of it and mail it out to you if you would like.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I just made my own plates and drilled the frame and sleeved it with some 1" Dom I had in the scrap pile. I used a Toyota ifs box but its all the same idea.

Comment

I plated my stock frame with 1/4", set the box up there and marked the holes with a Sharpie. Or use a drill with 1/2" bit and make marks. Pull the box and drill through both sides of the frame. Drilled the holes on one side out to 3/4" and slid in a tube spacer(1/2" ID- 3/4" OD), welded the big side and ground it flush. Then just find grade 8 bolts and crimp-nuts to fit.
                  Last edited by Efibroncoman; 12-14-2013, 07:05 AM.
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

^that

Comment

Thanks everyone this sight rocks Looks like I'll be grinding and welding on Monday. I figure I'll make my own temp plate's. I have some left over Dom tubing. And flat plate in the scrap pile. The only other part I need to get is the high pressure hose but that's easy. Luckily my steering shaft fits on the new box!!

Comment

Here's mine. 3/8 plate in and out with sleeves.

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...&postcount=409

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...4&d=1228630801

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/a...2&d=1228885201
                        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Working...
                        X