Rich Porter Dizzy for MAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Porter Dizzy for MAF

from another thread, I figured I would give the rich porter dizzy a shot. I didnt want to risk MSD, and at 81 bucks with a TFI, steel gear and lifetime warranty through Orielly, I figured this was a win across the board. The pics below show the FD-19, the 351 version. According to a tech at Rich Porter, all these come with steel gears and not iron which makes this a pretty affordable option for anyone wanting to convert their speed density 351 (dime a dozen in junkyards) to MAF. These are apparently made in Taiwan, but new and not rebuilt, again according to the tech I spoke to.

It will be a few weeks before I can get it in a fired up.

Re: Rich Porter Dizzy for MAF

That looks exactly like the distributor I used in mine with my EFI swap, do not recall the brand but it was also new, not rebuilt and imported. If its the same, one cool thing is that the TFI module is held on with phillips head screws, so no special tool required to swap it like the OEM distributors.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

what special tool? I thought it was just a 10mm(?) thin wall? i know I had it in my tool box.

Comment

I bought one from bronco graveyard and thats the one that showed.
        Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Originally posted by plug ugly View Post
          what special tool? I thought it was just a 10mm(?) thin wall? i know I had it in my tool box.
          More like 4 or 5 MM real small
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

It's a 5.5mm.

I've got a bunch of friends running the "Summit Racing" brand and they seems to be a great product.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I just saw this thread...forgive me for posting late but I wanted to share a problem I had last year with theses distributors:

BTW, I tried using the Rich Porter FD19 distributor from O'riely and I must of had a bad run of them, went through 4 of them in four months...after about 60 to 100 miles they would develop a miss in a small Rpm band between 1700 to 2000 rpm. The last one must have been a Cast iron gear and immediately began chewing up..I caught it and took it back. They refunded my money no questions asked. For the last 2500 miles I've been running a Picknpull dizzy out of a 94 Tbird...runs awesome and is Factory...can't go wrong
              Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

I just bought one of these and swapped on a gear that I know is steel. It kinda surprised me because as soon as I tapped the roll pin out the gear fell off... First time I've ever seen that. Stock distributors and MSD pro billets have the gear pressed on with the roll pin as a security measure. Hopefully I don't have issues but I'll probably upgrade to an MSD eventually.
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Looking at this distributor very very closely, it's obviously a complete overseas sourced copy of the Ford design. Please note I refrain from using the new acronyms CCS (Cheap Chinese Shit) in place of the more well know POS...only because I can't tell if it all comes from the PRC. From what I could tell, Mallory and Accel private labels this same distributor for an extra $100.
                  I also noticed the shaft and gear didn't seem to be turning without some weird resistance and i did suspect possible shaft runout...but by this point in time I was pissed off enough not to continue the aggravation.
                  And by the way when I experience this RPM issue I swapped out the RPT (Rich Porter Tech) TFI for a Ford TFI but it didn't solve the issue, which told me the issue is in the pickup circuit...not the TFI.
                  So again...if your building a new engine (like I did), I would recommend buying a pick n pull Factory Ford distributor, clean it up, use it, and avoid this RPT CCS.
                  Sorry..Thinking about the pile of metal shavings on my new cam shaft and in my new engine brought this very bad experience all back to me and I was not happy at all.
                  Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

They're made completely in Taiwan IIRC. But I'll keep an eye out for problems and swap it out if I have any.
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                    X