Radiator Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Tech

I am going to be tubing the front of my Bronco soon to get rid of the core support and inner fenders and it's got me wondering about radiators. I will not have any space or shape constraints now, so what radiator should I run? Is bigger better? (insert joke here) Aluminum, steel or plastic? 2 pass, 3 pass, 4 pass? Electric fan(s) or mechanical? Solid mount fan or clutch fan?

I have always run the Ron Davis aluminum radiator that is made to fit in a bronco, but now I don't need a bronco specific radiator. So should I just get the biggest widest thickest radiator that I can? What do you all think?

Re: Radiator Tech

Tubing the front eh? Someone is about to get fancy with front suspension!

To your point Mr. Overkill... Bigger is better but whatever you do, shroud it such that air goes through it vs around it. Path of least resistance. A big clutch fan will pull the most air through it if it spins fast enough, but electric for slow speed wheeling might be better for you. A big taurus fan might be best.

Look at the size of the radiator on your F150 vs. the bronco radiator. Big difference I bet especially if you have the towing package. I'd probably go brass 4 core for durability. I know how hot your rig got heading up to Shaver a couple of years ago. Go big man.
    Last edited by CityHick; 01-02-2014, 07:02 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I say put it behind the two seats up high at an angle with 2 fans. Ultra4/Baja style!
      Leave No One Behind
      KK6AUW

Comment

I have a new, never run big aluminum one that looks the part that I will sell cheep! Also have a nice spal fan to go with.

Jim

Comment

The biggest problem with old broncos is the narrow frame rails. After that, the steering gear being in the way also contributes to not being able to fit a wider radiator. Check out my build thread to see what I did to fit my universal Be Cool aluminum radiator. Mine is a single pass 2 row(1" tubes) radiator. But a dual pass might work well also. For an electric fan I have an OEM Volvo fan that is also 2 speed like a Taurus fan but the shroud was much easier to fit. In my experience OEM fans seem to be more reliable than aftermarket fans. Just don't but a Summit Racing aluminum radiator, go name brand... Griffin, Be Cool, Ron Davis...etc.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I called griffin with the size I needed and they had something very close. I am running dual spal fans.

Comment

I just tubed out the front of mine (better than it was) and went through the same thing. I just measured out what I could fit, notated if it was between the frame, on top of the frame, or headlight to headlight. Then used all the sort options on summit racing to find one that got close. I went aluminum with 1 1/4 tubes, 2 row. If I wanted to spend more I would of got the same thing but with 1 1/2 tubes.
              I got a "mid grade" Griffin. It's not near as pretty as the race ones I'm use to seeing, but it was only 300$.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I used a griffin on mine, with a two speed volvo fan and a shroud a local shop made for me.. Seems to be cooling very well.

Last edited by plug ugly; 01-03-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plug ugly View Post
                  I used a griffin on mine, with a two speed volvo fan and a shroud a local shop made for me.. Seems to be cooling very well.

What make, model and year Volvo fan did you get your fan from?

Comment

Originally posted by JimGo View Post
                    I have a new, never run big aluminum one that looks the part that I will sell cheep! Also have a nice spal fan to go with.

Jim
                    What brand is it? Size, how many passes, set up for a reverse rotation water from a serp belt system? Got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      pretty new, not sure. Just walked pick and pull and found several. Come with a fancy relay pack also. The flat mounting makes it preferred to taurus,mark fans if you plan to use a shroud IMO. They pull about the same amount of air.

I have a mark fan im not using if you are looking for a fan. 20 bucks.

Comment

I got this it works great I also had one in my buggy that worked great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Row-Ford-M...item19d70fc05b

Comment

What brand is it? Size, how many passes, set up for a reverse rotation water from a serp belt system? Got any pics?
                          Here's pics. I'll try to get all the details if you're interested. I would ask $75 for the radiator, $125 with the fan.

Jim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JimGo View Post
                            Here's pics. I'll try to get all the details if you're interested. I would ask $75 for the radiator, $125 with the fan.

Jim
                            Yeah I am definitely interested depending all of the particulars. (brand, size, passes, inlet outlet size, etc...)

Comment

That's the same as mine... 1995 Volvo stationwagon... I think most 90's Volvo cars have the same fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-954_wpRWsQ
                              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X