Detoit Locker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detoit Locker???

Which Detoit Locker would you guys recommend for the rear 9"? There is a few models and not sure witch one would be choice?!
    Leave No One Behind
    KK6AUW

Re: Detoit Locker???

I can't remember but I think it was a soft locker I had about ten years back it was awesome now I have one of those nascar lockers and when I turn right it will lock up and then unlock so hard it's like somebody rear ended me. It works great but If you are getting a new one go with the soft.

Comment

I think the preferred model of Detroit most people run is the ARB model.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I think its a soft locker.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
          I think the preferred model of Detroit most people run is the ARB model.
          +1. I dont miss my rear detroit at all. I hated it when I had a bronco on 35's with an np435. That rear end came around every time someone sneezed on the road.

Comment

I can't stand having to rely on air or a hose to get me traction I will always have a Detroit, the soft locker would be the one to get but I will take whatever Detroit I can.

Comment

There is that risk, but in the 10 plus years I have been running an ARB in the front, I have never had an issue. In the last 5 years or so of running an ARB in the rear, I have again had no issue. I think it largely depepnds on how your rig is set up from gearing, to tranny type. Though I had both a detroit in the rear with an auto and manual, and dont miss it in either case. It was more tolerable with an auto however.

Comment

It's been a while but when I ran a Detroit, it was a night mare on the street it would lock and unlock by simply coming out of the throttle. Off road great, on road bad. I my Lincoln locked rear ran better then the Detroit.
                72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I will play devil's advocate for the Detroit - having driven my buddy's rig on the street with a rear detroit (soft locker) it really isn't that bad. Sure you know its there, sure you can chirp the tires while making a tight turn, etc... but you kind of learn to deal with it.

I personally run ARB lockers front and rear. I don't like the plastic tubing that they come with and I replaced it with steel reinforced air hose (similar to -an hose, from McMaster). Have never had a single problem with that setup. As for relying on an air source, there is that risk for sure - I run a belt driven converted a/c pump which supplies a small tank. I have a one-way check valve between pump and tank in case of problems upstream, and my backup plan is a high-pressure schraeder valve that I can fill my tank with from someone else's air pump in the worst case. My tank will run my ARBs for hours, so stopping occasionally to fill the tank isn't a bad option.

Anyway... my $.02 for both options.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

I'd like to know the detailed setup differences in all the ones I've driven over the years.
                    I've spent some time in EB's that drove so well you could hardly tell the Detroit was in there, while in others (the last two I drove especially) I considered them completely unsafe and un-driveable!

One friend had them in his '70 and broke three 28 spline axles over about a 5 month period just commuting to work. Never had a chance to get it off the road.
                    Russell's rig here in Santa Clara was practically undriveable. Each time you pushed the clutch in to shift, the Bronco would practically swap lanes! I'd absolutely never drive a rig like that.
                    Finally fixed it by replacing the Detroit with a Trutrac

In the first case, it was a PO install so we don't know what it was. In Russell's case I think he did get one of those Nascar lockers, so that might be one consistency.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I loved my Detroit because it was undestructable and reliable. the only time I didn't like it was on a iced over road. I also never drove it with a manual so that might play a large part as to why some people hate them over loved them.
                      Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Thanks for the info gents. Sounds like its a 50/50 mix of likes and dislikes. One of my buddies is a fleet mechanic and told me they use Detriot in all of they're equipment and said if its not clicking and banging, it's broken.
                        Leave No One Behind
                        KK6AUW

Comment

I never had a problem with my soft locker. On or off the road

Comment

The thing I didn't like about my rear ARB was turning it on and off. Many many many times on the trail, you always hear "is your ARB on?" Or "whoops, forgot to turn my ARB on", I was that guy, doing so many things I always forgot.
                            I've run spools too, I hate them.
                            I just recently put the Yukon grizzly locker in the rear and I've been very pleased with it. It's not as bangy as my last Detroit but that one was a NASCAR Detroit so those are loud.
                            Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Mine was a soft locker. Never heard it.

My buddy dan had a nascar one, everone told him it sounded like his diff was broken
                              Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Working...
                              X