Rhino liner over POR15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino liner over POR15

Has anybody applied Rhino liner over POR15. I'm about to POR15 the inside tub area of my Bronco and I have an appointment for Rhino liner on Thursday. I want to make sure it sticks. Just a little concerned because I've found conflictng information doing an internet search.

thanks
    Last edited by workin it; 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM. Reason: details

Re: Rhino liner over POR15

I've heard of people spraying a DIY bedliner over still tacky POR15 before. As for the professional stuff I don't think there would be a neccesity to do the POR15. The Rhino or similar "other name" bedliners are a 2 part chemical compound that dries to the touch in like 15 seconds and it adheres to bare steel super well! I have a buddy that works at a truck accessory shop. He recommends that the surface be bare and scuffed with 36 grit paper for the best results. They clean the surface with acetone right before shooting. The professional bedliner probably seals every bit as good if not better than POR15...
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I agree, Dont POR15 the tube. They will just sand it off to shoot the bed liner. If you have rust concerns discuss it with then. They probably use a product that will stop the rust n still keep a good hold on ther bed liner.

Comment

This is years-old information but when I was calling around for quotes on Rhino and Line-x for my rig they said their preference was that the vehicle show up as-is, whether that be paint, bare steel, etc (but as I recall they had an aversion to rust). They told me they had primers they preferred to use, and would only place a warranty on liner if it was applied to a known surface (ie... something they spray or condition).

I have not had great luck with POR-15 on sheet metal even when using their prep solvent. It works great on cast iron and the like, and that's about all I'll apply it to anymore.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I treated several areas of my tub with POR 15 before having line-x sprayed. While the POR 15 was still tacky, I sprayed a medium coat of primer over the POR 15 areas, so there was a non-glossy surface for the line-x material to bond to. That was back in 2004 or 5 and haven't had any issues with it separating at all. The line-x guys didn't seem to think the POR 15 was a problem.

Comment

Tim,

Did you leave your rubber door seals in place before line x or did you install the door seals after line x

Comment

Originally posted by workin it View Post
              Tim,

Did you leave your rubber door seals in place before line x or did you install the door seals after line x
              Door seals were remove as they were pretty shot. When installing the new door seals after the line-x, I needed to drill out the holes for the plastic weatherstripping tabs; where I uncovered to bare metal, I applied some POR15.
              Last edited by tim; 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X