9 carrier ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 carrier ?

Which size do i want the 3.06 or 3.25? Will be 31 spline bb axle. All I currently have is a detroit locker and looking to buy all other parts needed for a re-gear.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: 9 carrier ?

The 3.06" carrier will fit 31 spline axle shafts fine. The 3.25" carriers are needed for 35 spline axle shafts. That being said, if you are buying an aftermarket nodular carrier from Yukon, Currie or Strange. I would suggest getting a 3.25" carrier, because you can get the different carrier bearings to fit the smaller locker and that way if you ever decide to upgrade to larger axle shafts you don't have to get a different carrier.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Forgot to ask which pinion support is better, aluminum or steel. Same question with the yoke steel or aluminum?

Comment

The iron carrier is what I used. The aluminum stuff is mainly for drag racing. On a 4x4 you're not really going to gain any performance from a couple pounds less weight. Plus the aluminum carrier probably doesn't like being dragged over rocks much. For most people a stock Spicer yoke is fine. If you'll be racing and jumping they also make forged nascar yokes. I've never seen an aluminum one but again... Probably racing stuff. I'd steer clear of that.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

It depends on your long term goals, if you're going aftermarket case buy the 3.25 case, wild horses stocks the races you need to put your 3.06 Detroit in that larger case. Owning the 3.25 case will let you go 35 spline down the road if you choose too.
          Aluminum or steel pinion supper does not matter, just buy a brand name as I've seen a few no names on eBay that had the wrong oil passages drilled in them.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I bought this Detroit locker which is 31 spline, but uses the 3.250 carrier bearings. But for the price, it paid for a Strange nodular case, which I was going to buy anyway. Not sure why this model is such a price reduction. I bought this a few years ago, it was $298.00. The price came up a bit, but it's still cheap for a Detroit.

Mark

http://completeoffroad.com/i-7601497...0-dropout.html
            Attached Files
            Last edited by garberz; 02-09-2014, 07:03 PM.
            Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Because it's an oddball combo and they don't sell enough of them. IIRC when/if you go to upgrade to 35 spline you can just get new 35 spline side gears from Detroit locker and keep the carrier.

Comment

Can I just buy the 9" overhaul kit designed for for the 3.06 locker in a 3.25 case, or is it separate? The 3.25 does sound appealing at this point and I may opt for the locker from complete and just sell mine.
                Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                It depends on your long term goals, if you're going aftermarket case buy the 3.25 case, wild horses stocks the races you need to put your 3.06 Detroit in that larger case.

Comment

Yes, but you need special races to put that smaller carrier (and it's bearings) in the 3.25 case, WH stocks them.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                  X