Skidplate material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skidplate material?

I've noticed lately that some guys with Ultra 4 rigs and buggies are using other materials for belly skid plates like aluminum and UHMW polyethylene. I had previously used 1/4" steel sheet for a skid plate but after getting high-centered even that got a bend in it fairly easy. Plus it weighed around 50 lbs. which isn't fun to remove while laying on your back on the ground. I know that aluminum has a tendency to stick to rocks and gall, but it is lightweight and has more flex to it than steel. I was contemplating using some 3/8"- 1/2" aluminum plate supported by square tube steel crossmembers and attaching 1/2" UHMW to the bottom of that. Does anybody have any opinions on this?
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Re: Skidplate material?

I would not do straight aluminum but I don't have any experience with UHMW. It seems to me like it would get gouged quickly. I am going to stick with 1/4 steel.
    Last edited by Rockbronco67; 02-13-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I think UHMW is the stuff they make plastic cutting boards out of. I've heard it's also used on feed ramps at rock crushing plants and quarries too.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

If you can afford the alum, go that route with plastic over it (which is also very costly) just support it well.

Steel is cheap, and fab'ed hinges on one side make it a lot easier.

Comment

Heavy enough alum. With 1/4" uhmw will be close to as heavy at steel. But the uhmw will slide easy over rocks and holds up good. I have some 1" uhmw I don't need if you want to try that but it weighs a bunch it's 1ft x 6ft I think. It cost me 80$. I think 3/16 or even 1/8 steel would be best if you had it broke for straingth. Or make a skeleton frame for the 1"

Comment

I ran uhmw on mine, I disliked it. I found when I was climbing something the uhmw would slide me off putting my in a bad spot, where a steel plate I had "stick" to it.
            If your bending it, just add more braces. My current skid was some tractor spec metal, it was hard as heck to drill.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Okay, I think I will just stick to using steel for a skid plate. I'll just build a better support structure to prevent it from bending.

Comment

Working...
              X