Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Bronco need underhood pics

Help,
    I replaced the inner apron on my 71 Bronco, and now I can't figure out where the holes go for the jack, lug wrench and jack handle.

Can someone please post (or e-mail) a pic of their inner apron on the driver's side? I don't know if 71 is the same as later years...but it is different than 1967 for sure...

jamesroney@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Re: 1971 Bronco need underhood pics

Ok James the 67 Luber is out then, I will see if they can be seen still on the 69 under the ARB stuff..
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Ill look at my 69 tonight James. Not sure if any of the holes are covered by the brake booster assy.
      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I'll get better ones if you need. Its a 71
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by workin it View Post
          I'll get better ones if you need. Its a 71
          Great, Thanks!!!

The detail I am looking for is on the actual fender apron, and the top of the inner fender. If you could look towards the driver's side, above the horn, and in front of the washer bottle...that's the area.

I have figured out the Jack from web pics. But I can't figure out the handle, the lug wrench, and the little metal tab that looks like a piece of angle iron, 1x1x3 inches long, and 18ga thick. Where does that go?

James.

Comment

Lemme run out and look at mine James. Totally forgot today.

BRB...

Paul
            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Here are some views. The plethora of holes are mostly for my tool box and stuff. The stud is original, as are the two empty holes that look oblong. It always looked to me like something was melted out of them, rather than the holes hogged out by other means. Perhaps they were the studs for the clamp?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1113 (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	270334 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114 (Large).JPG
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	270335

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1115 (Large).JPG
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	270332 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116 (Large).JPG
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	270333

If you need actual measurements on something, or higher resolution shots, let me know.

Paul
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Hi Paul,
                The pics are great...but I'm still lost.

This is a picture of the thing that I can't figure out. It is an angle bracket, and I have heard that it goes under the 3rd fender bolt, but can't figure out how, or exactly why.

The other interesting thing is that my inner fender is factory original, and has not been repaired or welded ever. But no holes??? Did the 1971 Bronco Station Wagon U152 with the optional in-bed spare tire holder have a different location for the jack? Something is very strange here.

I hope that the one hole that is in my apron near the washer bottle is in the same place as yours. I might need a tape measure.

Comment

Looks like that hole is pretty close to the same place as mine.

As far as the bracket is concerned, mine was exactly where you described. I was hoping that the little marks where it had worn into the paint over the years would be easier to find and note, but when I went out there I really couldn't see where I'd taken it off.
                  And that was only last year when I loosened all the bolts and was fiddling around with paint.

When it was installed though, it didn't look like it could hold anything. It was always there, but I never had a jack or handle that I remember. Just that angle bracket and some holes.
                  I'll message Stuart to see if he's got his stuff installed on his super stock-ish '74. It's not a '71, but could still have the info you need.

Paul
                  Last edited by DirtDonk; 02-19-2014, 10:07 AM.
                  www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Hi Paul,
                    Interesting that your picture shows a loose nut hanging finger loose on the end of fender bolt #3. It is the only bolt with the extra nut.

Can you check to see if the fender bolt is still tight, meaning that it has a nut plate in the apron...and the fender bolts to the apron tight. Then is it possible that the sheet metal guard just attaches to the extra length of bolt thread...and held on by that nut?

If so, then it helps me a lot.

James.

Comment

For comparison purposes here is a picture of my '74. The handle lays on top of the inner fender and is held down by a clip for lack of a better term. There is another clip holding the handle against the side of the fender apron. I have the jack removed since it was not original and I needed the space but the mount is still attached to the top of the inner fender. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see more photos.
                      Attached Files
                      '74 Ranger, Green, Uncut, 5.0 EFI, NV3550, 3.5" lift....

Comment

Thanks Stuart. I have that little stud in front of the wheel well too. Would normally be semi-hidden behind the stock washer bottle. Never had a clip on it though.

And your hold-down location confirms that the three holes I mentioned earlier that looked like they'd been burned out or had something in them pulled through, are where the jack-flap thingy was originally mounted.

Paul
                        Last edited by DirtDonk; 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM.
                        www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                        X