289 oddball flexplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 oddball flexplate

My sons coach's wife is looking for an oddball offset flexplte for a 289 to c4. It's got like a double step down and everything she is finding is not offset enough. Any of you know what she needs? I'm waiting on the picture from her

Re: 289 oddball flexplate

What's the application? Year/model? Pan fill C4 (HD/"truck") uses an 11 inch converter (vs 10 inch) and a different flexplate than the case fill (standard/"car"). Offset is different, converter stud spacing is different, and clearance holes for the converter drain plugs are near the stud holes rather than halfway in between. If it's a pan fill she'll need a "truck" flexplate, pre-1980 when the balance changed. I tried to cheat and redrill a "car" one once, big mistake, wiped out the front pump in no time flat! JL
    '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

believed to be sock 69 bronco stuff but not certain, I do not know he other info but will try and figure it out. thanks

Comment

Just installed Steve P's flexplate in his 351 C4 combo and it looked like the one you describe as car type.
        Single offset, drain holes right next to stud holes, but 164 tooth if I'm not mistaken. At least that's the "assumption" since we figured it was a standard Bronco C4 and never bothered to count the teeth since it was installed and running fine when he bought the '73 awhile back.

Now I'm curious though, and will look to see if it's a pan-fill type next time I'm over there. I think it is, and the dipstick comes right up clean next to the engine and firewall and starter lines up good.

We'll see.

Paul
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

so this is what she had

and this is what she keeps getting

Comment

Wow, bad crack!

Went and dug out the redrilled one I have, and it matches the one you need Ford Service Parts tag says p/n D3OZ-6375-A. Found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D3OZ-6375-A-...mtr#ht_526wt_0

Sounds like a '73 Mustang part number, but Ford service parts often have a newer number than the vehicle they're listed for.

I believe this is a 164 tooth flexplate for a 10 (vs 11) inch converter on a C4. Again I tried to redrill one of these for an 11 inch converter (pan fill tranny) and it wiped out my front pump because the offset was wrong.

Hope that helps? JL
            '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

Comment

it does, thank you. Ill pass that along.

I had her get the casting number and measure the TC. Turns out its a 71 302 out of a torino or fairlane. TC is 10.5.

Ill send her the info with the part number and see if that gets her where she needs to be. Thank you again.

Comment

Didn't make sense to me that there was only one of these on ebay. Punched it into google and may have found the reason:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/778996-351w-s.html

If you read down the page near the bottom it appears this flexplate was only used on 164 tooth applications (pan fill C4) with the small torque converter, a combination not normally seen. The parts numbers guy there says '73-76 Bronco 302 with smog pump only. Don't know why they'd go through all that unless the small converter hooks up quicker (smog reasons) or something?

Not sure how I ended up with one, unless it came on the 302 that's now in my Econoline van. Anyway, it's an oddball like you suspected, and maybe this is the explanation. There are more links on google if you punch in the part number. JL

Comment

thanks. Forwarded it on to her, but havent heard back yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X