Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Bronco 3.5" vs 5.5"

Posted this on Classic, pirate & CCB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for some insight. Got this Bronco a year or so ago and havent wheeled it yet. Currently it has a 3.5 BC lift and 1" body lift with my 37's, full width 44/ 60. Looking at it with the Cage arms, im thinking I need to go to 5.5". Have a good deal brewing for a set of 5.5's just not sure if its worth it or.... Alot of guys are running 3-1/2" & 2" body lift. Any real world insight will be helpfull. Just looking for a decent lift that I can flex out while wheeling and decent street manners. Thanks in advance
    !!! Being original, is a blueprint for followers !!!

Re: Early Bronco 3.5" vs 5.5"

Originally posted by Dirtheadz View Post
    Posted this on Classic, pirate & CCB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for some insight. Got this Bronco a year or so ago and havent wheeled it yet. Currently it has a 3.5 BC lift and 1" body lift with my 37's, full width 44/ 60. Looking at it with the Cage arms, im thinking I need to go to 5.5". Have a good deal brewing for a set of 5.5's just not sure if its worth it or.... Alot of guys are running 3-1/2" & 2" body lift. Any real world insight will be helpfull. Just looking for a decent lift that I can flex out while wheeling and decent street manners. Thanks in advance
    Keep it as low as you can, just high enough to run the tires you want. Going to 5.5 will take away some streetability, and possibly make driveshaft issues. I would high mount the flares to gain tire room before going higher with lift if you can. Definitely wheel it first to see if you have problems.

Jim

Comment

True....

Comment

If I were to do it over again I'd go 3.5 suspension with 2" body. I started at 5.5" all around and now have 4.5" coils up front, always had the 2" body lift, with 37" tires on stock width axles.

There are tons of guys on this site running 37's on the 3.5/2" combo though even wtih 5.5" I would rub the inner fenders (never outer... and those are trimmed to the standard WH warflare cut). 2" spacers, 3.25" backspace, and huge bump stops up front and I no longer rub there - do rub the inners on the rear a little and can't ever seem to get bumps to stop that. It's manageable now though and the sharp body seam is hammered over flat.

Lower is good. 5.5" is okay but like you said, driveline issues, etc. I had highway handling problems before upgrading to heavier shocks, now it drives pretty well on the road.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

5.5 never affected my driveablity but 3.5" springs are softer than 5.5. read that as flexier, so if you need the height but want the flex, you better off to do as Jim said and high cut your fenders, or run an adjustable bucket in the front and figure out how to make the rear match.
          The rear leafs are going to be what give you issues. There is no real clever way to gain height unless you used a spring rocker. Then you need to really read up on the issues that spring rockers come with.
          72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Or just a block in the rear. With full width axles the inner rub shouldn't be a big problem. Like already said cut the flair high and see how it works all twisted up.

Comment

yep... I would rather stick with the 3.5+1"bl, if I can

Comment

OK... doing new front 4.5" coils, leaving my 1" BL & leaving my 3.5" rears. DONE!!! indecisveness sucks!!! Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Comment

I have a 5.5", 2" BL and mock 35" tires. Tires are to small need at least 37" tires. I may be taking my 5.5" off and putting a 3.5" on while keeping the 2" BL. For my purposes a 3.5", 2" BL with 35" or 37" tires will be fine. I have not yet made my mind up 100%. 3.5" and 2" BL is real popular for these . Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtheadz View Post
                    OK... doing new front 4.5" coils, leaving my 1" BL & leaving my 3.5" rears. DONE!!! indecisveness sucks!!! Thanks for all the feedback guys.
                    She's going to drag ass when you load her down for the trail.
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I have 3.5" with adjustable coil buckets. 3"BL. 39.5's. High cut on the fender flares Great flex. Works great.
                      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Working...
                      X