EFI shopping list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI shopping list

I have had it with this carb. It's now time to start shopping for EFI.
    Is there a shopping list for the mustang swap? I know Pop's did the Holley thing and that comes as a kit.
    What is the approx cost of the Mustang swap? Cityhick's swap seemed to go well.
    Anybody want to go shopping at a junkyard?

Re: EFI shopping list

Ive got a computer, mustang or truck fuel rails, GT40 upper, a couple different MAF set ups, and maybe a few other things if you are interested. Im pretty sure I have a mustang harness as well, though it might be missing a plug or two, but I dont think it is. Its just unravelled. I can check if you are interested tho.

Comment

I would never go back to carb. I don't know shit about engines and I installed mine and it fired right up and haven't change anything since. You will be very happy.

Comment

I got my own junkyard...I got stock upper and lower intakes you can have...with a set of stock 19# injectors, throttle body and egr for cheap or decent beer. I have brand new dizzy and mabey some used ones. plus im sure i have other parts too....mabey a builder block if you want[ sitting outside for a long time]
        Last edited by bent70; 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM.
        70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

It's way easier than you will ever believe. Jump in, you will be glad that you did.

Are you running a 302 or 351? I like the GT40 style intakes - read up on the Mustang forums; they're bolt-on horsepower vs the Mustang stuff (a little anyway), plus they can support more power since they flow a bit more.

Spend the money on a harness. I bought my harness from Summit (pretty sure I linked the part number in my thread), its ready to run out of the box, eliminates some of the OEM connectors (salt and pepper shakers, etc) and its got plenty of slack to allow mounting and routing flexibility.

I got my used and known-good computer for $100 from a member here. Explorer rails are nice since they have the feed and return, and regulator towards the back of the motor - a cleaner look in my opinion. I got my rails, upper Explorer GT40 intake, throttle body, and various sensors out of the junkyard for $100 or so. Got my low mile OEM ford 19lb injectors from a friend for free (not unheard of), MAF was also free but I have since replaced it since it was way out of spec.

The other thing to consider is fuel delivery. I had problems with the external pumps and eventually swapped my tank out for an in-tank pump (though in hindsight it would be super easy to convert any baffled tank to an internal pump setup).

So between the harness and new tank/pump and fuel lines I spent $1000. A few hundred more on various odds-n-ends, rounding up my swap probably set me back $1500 or thereabouts.

My rig runs like a champ; definitely gained midrange torque and it starts almost instantly no matter what the ambient air temp is.

I'd be glad to talk to you more about this, answer whatever questions you have, etc. I am by no means an expert but I've got a good book on the subject. Its a real bummer that oldfuelinjection.com is offline now. That site was an awesome quick reference.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            It's way easier than you will ever believe. Jump in, you will be glad that you did.

Are you running a 302 or 351? I like the GT40 style intakes - read up on the Mustang forums; they're bolt-on horsepower vs the Mustang stuff (a little anyway), plus they can support more power since they flow a bit more.

Spend the money on a harness. I bought my harness from Summit (pretty sure I linked the part number in my thread), its ready to run out of the box, eliminates some of the OEM connectors (salt and pepper shakers, etc) and its got plenty of slack to allow mounting and routing flexibility.

I got my used and known-good computer for $100 from a member here. Explorer rails are nice since they have the feed and return, and regulator towards the back of the motor - a cleaner look in my opinion. I got my rails, upper Explorer GT40 intake, throttle body, and various sensors out of the junkyard for $100 or so. Got my low mile OEM ford 19lb injectors from a friend for free (not unheard of), MAF was also free but I have since replaced it since it was way out of spec.

The other thing to consider is fuel delivery. I had problems with the external pumps and eventually swapped my tank out for an in-tank pump (though in hindsight it would be super easy to convert any baffled tank to an internal pump setup).

So between the harness and new tank/pump and fuel lines I spent $1000. A few hundred more on various odds-n-ends, rounding up my swap probably set me back $1500 or thereabouts.

My rig runs like a champ; definitely gained midrange torque and it starts almost instantly no matter what the ambient air temp is.

I'd be glad to talk to you more about this, answer whatever questions you have, etc. I am by no means an expert but I've got a good book on the subject. Its a real bummer that oldfuelinjection.com is offline now. That site was an awesome quick reference.
            You sound like me talking you into doing this swap. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
              You sound like me talking you into doing this swap. LOL.
              What can I say; I was a non believer! I still spend way too much time watching the gauges and idiot light, listening to the engine, triple checking everything after a drive but thats just my obsessive compulsive nature. I was the same way with the carb for a long time. Gaining more trust in my rig with every drive!
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

That's my issue with my fuel injection is trusting it. I can't seem to get it to run the same two trips in a row. One day the idle is all over the place the next day is idles fine but will act like it's starving for fuel. I'm about at my wits end with this thing. There are to many vareables to look into. Wireing, vacume , sensers ect. I'm not a electrition. I deliver brown boxes for a living. I would gladly trade my whole set up for a nice clean carb small block. Sorry for the rant. Didn't mean to put a dampener on the efi party.

Comment

Originally posted by rockslut View Post
                  That's my issue with my fuel injection is trusting it. I can't seem to get it to run the same two trips in a row. One day the idle is all over the place the next day is idles fine but will act like it's starving for fuel. I'm about at my wits end with this thing. There are to many vareables to look into. Wireing, vacume , sensers ect. I'm not a electrition. I deliver brown boxes for a living. I would gladly trade my whole set up for a nice clean carb small block. Sorry for the rant. Didn't mean to put a dampener on the efi party.
                  You should start another "help with EFI" thread and see if we can't figure this out. Have you run the codes from the EEC to see what it's giving you?

Comment

Sounds good didn't mean to hi jack this. I'll pull them this weekend and start a now thred. A lot of my frustration comes from the fact that the previous owner installed it. Seemed like he spent more time on the paint than the install itself.

Comment

No problem with hi jack. Thanks for the info. I have a 302 with mustang heads, stock dizzy with Pertronix.
                      City, I have read your build a few times and that has been my go to as I know where the info is in your write up.
                      Plug and Bent, I would be interested in seeing if we could put together a complete system. Thank you for your help. Let me know when you would like to start amassing parts.
                      Does anyone have a list of parts that are needed for the swap?

Comment

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...tor-13-13.html
                        I have also been looking at this kit as I would not have to rearrange my engine bay.

Comment

Rockslut, I have a just rebuilt Edelbrock 1406 if you want

Comment

let me know what you need/want. Its pretty hard to beat the stock mustang stuff, plus somebody is bound to have a spare.

Comment

I'll look tonight...I got spare parts from my mustang that I got with the car, parts from another mustang I bought for parts, 351 parts I got from rockslut and some topend parts off and efi 460. I'll make a list...
                              70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Working...
                              X