Steering upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering upgrade

I run heirs on both ends and before ran a bushing on one end the bushing went bad fast and I dident find more vibration with heims. My trac bar is bend so I made a bushing on the axle side around the heim to keep it from wobling like a white trash warble stopper. But I think you asked about a draglink? I would keep all parts the same but that's just me.
    Last edited by pipelayer; 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I dont like heims in a single shear set up. Thats what TRE's are for.

Call WFO too. They make steering links.

Comment

If you are going to go full boogie and set up for Chevy TRE then you might as well go TRO. Better to do it once and be done with it. There was a reamer floating around the sight as well.
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I use these from Ruff Stuff for TRE's. You need a 7/8" drill bit and they're cheaper than the reamer you'd need. Plus a reamed hole in a knuckle seems to compress when the castle but is tightened down. These don't.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I still like the idea of Tie rod over with the 1 ton TRE's. Parts readily available in a whim and still much stronger than stock. Tie rod over will help eliminate the damage (Taco) I've done to my stock tie rod setup being careless (Put locker in front last year and was overconfident.) Since I have a stock pitman arm with the 4 inch lift that will help out also. The only question left is with the track bar. I am still running stock trac bar mount. I like the idea of heim on the top side and bushing on the bottom (BC Broncos setup) simply because I've mushroomed the top out twice now on the last two runs. Mostly because of improper angles due to 4 inch lift and no drop pitman arm or drop trac bar bracket.
            My only question is with the clearance of the larger Diameter tie rod and front diff cover as well as stock lower trac bar mount.

Comment

Ruff Stuff sells some offset TRE's if you think you will run into your tie rod hitting your diff cover.

Comment

Parts mike also has what you want

Comment

I'm running a TRO setup that a friend made me about 12 years ago, with GM TRE's. I've managed to wear out one TRE. Was nice to stop at NAPA and find they had a replacement in stock.

On the other hand, I've got a track bar with heims. Frame end is stock location, axle end is at the passenger side knuckle. Made for a straight track bar. Heims are from Performance Unlimited, they are spendy but seem to last longer than any others I've used. I've run that setup since 2006 and finally had a heim go bad last Fall, and then only barely (Bronco is a daily driver).

A couple of crappy pix of the drag link at the axle end. Note that while it's not shown in the pix, I run a large washer under the bolt head for the axle end heim, so in case the thing goes TU, the body can't pop off the ball.

1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                  I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                    I use these from Ruff Stuff for TRE's. You need a 7/8" drill bit and they're cheaper than the reamer you'd need. Plus a reamed hole in a knuckle seems to compress when the castle but is tightened down. These don't.

X2... use the same on my stock steering arm for my draglink... PO had a heim, took it out to run TRE.
                    !!! Being original, is a blueprint for followers !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X