atf in transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atf in transfer

Getting ready for the Rubicon run I was changin fluids and discovered that my 4r70w is leaking into transfercase. Questions
    How quickly do I need to repair this ? This a now thing or a sometime thing?
    Does the atf cause damage to anything in xfer ?

I do know it isn't right but this past weekend was get ready to go weekend and not sure I will have time to complete by end of month and didn't want to miss the trip.

Thanks
    Tim

Re: atf in transfer

I don't know a lot about automatic transmissions but my guess would be the output seal. Hopefully you don't have to completely take the transmission apart to change it but if that is the case and you want to wait until after the rubicon trip. I would definitely plan on keeping several spare bottles of ATF with you at all times and regularly checking the levels. ATF shouldn't hurt the transfercase but it is much thinner than the gear oil that is specified in old style cases.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Dumb question. How did you come to realize it was leaking into the transfer case? Was your ATF getting low? i just finished my 4r70w install and im looking for potential problems to watch for.

Comment

Meh, overfilling the Dana 20 with ATF will not kill it, it's just going to be hard on the 47rw to be running with low fluid levels. Would it stop me from wheeling it? No.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

i noticed it on routine maintenance just topping off my transfercase cause it started leaking lately removed the drain plug and it caught me off guard spilling an extra quart out of it.

Comment

did you ever find the cause of the problem? because i think i have the same problem as well as cooling issues

Comment

If you have ATF leaking into the transfer case, it's going to mean this seal is bad.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...ouble_Lip_Seal
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Just to be clear here too, this installation was done with the actual 4R70W adapter, rather than the re-purposed (but less expensive) ZF adapter, correct?

Just checking.

Paul
                Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

i used the 4r70w adaptor that i bought from WH. the newer one with the clocking ring that they didnt make twin sticks for yet or at the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X