Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveline help

Hi,

So I have two sets of stock drivelines, what is cheaper buying new drivelines to accommodate my 3.5 in lift or having those redone (is that even possible). What is the cheapest route I could go and still be safe and reliable?

Thanks!!
    sigpicZ

1970 project. 302 nv4500, 3 1/2 inch lift, 2 BL, D44

Re: Driveline help

I think it depends on the shape of your drivelines. Are they worth putting money into them? I would get a quote on both and see which way that leads you. I thought the same thing on mine and ended up having two new drivelines built. I think it was around $600 for both heavy duty which included U-Joints and hardware. Mine had to accomodate the 4R70W swap. Shorter rear and longer front. WH sells some good ones I'm told.
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I'd buy new. If you take your shafts to a driveline shop to be lengthened, chances are you'll end up like me, paying nearly what a new driveshaft from WH costs. I had my original rear (pre-lift length) shortened to put on the front of my Bronco. I did not know that the splines were shot or that there was a problem with one of the shaft yokes and the job came in way over the original estimate - it's basically brand new and I did not save that much by trying to reuse original parts...

For the rear I bought the HD shaft from WH. It is a nicer piece, the splined section is beefier and longer, and there was no wait time - it left WH and was bolted into my rig on the same day.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll save up I think. I saw a Toyota with square shafts you guys had any experience with those?
        sigpicZ

Comment

I've seen a few square drive shafts on Toyota's, from what I believe most the time they just welded them up themselves and only use them in the front (not worried about them being balanced), since they will probably never be going over 5mph in four wheel drive.
          1969 Ford Bronco: 90 EFI 5.0HO, NP435/NP203/D20, 4.11s, D44 w/Spartan Locker, 9" w/Detroit Locker, Lift: 3.5" Suspension, 3" body and 35" tires. Hydroboost, York On-Board Air.

Comment

Take your driveshafts to a good driveline shop. They can inspect them and let you know what you have. I use Driveline Service in West Sacramento and they are really good to work with. IIRC retubing and balancing a driveshaft is around $100. Shortening one may be a bit cheaper because they would just be trimming it down instead of using a new piece of tube. Of course this all depends on wear and if anything is damaged.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

With only a 3.5" lift your stock shafts should work unchanged. You may need to put degree shims on the rear end to get the pinion pointing at the rear yoke of the transfercase.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I have a square front shaft but like already said it doesn't go to fast but when we get some snow some day I will probably have a round one. I think drive line service charged me $90 to shorten and balance my extra rear. And around 150$ to langthen one and balance it With heavy wall tube. But like said with that lift drive lines shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I have a nv4500 too I don't know how much longer that makes my setup then stock. Anyone have a driveline place bear fresno they recommend? Just to have them take a look?
                  Last edited by zsmith; 06-18-2014, 08:22 PM. Reason: More info
                  sigpicZ

Comment

So i measured out my driveline needs and the front gap is about 26 3/4 inches and the rear gap is about 33 1/2 inches. My stock rear driveline is just over the needed gap (about 34 inches not extended) and my front drive line is about an inch short (before it is extended) extended it is just under an inch over. What do you guys think? Will my rear work?
                    sigpicZ

Comment

I have a 1330 CV driveshaft that is 32" compressed and 36.25" extended. It was built by Driveline Service in West Sacramento and only has 1 season of wheeling on it... No damage.
                      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Fresno Driveline Service has made and fixed a few shafts for me over the years and have reasonable pricing and do quality work. Bayshore Truck Equipment has a good reputation as well although I have not used them.
                        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Thanks yea I called they seemed reasonable. You guys think just the front? Based on my gaps?
                          sigpicZ

Comment

If you haven't verified the pinion angle in the rear, don't take any measurements until you do. After your lift the pinion angle may very well be too low. If that's the case, then your length reading will be false until that's corrected.

The front only changes with C-bushing changes, and then not as much as the rear. So if your C-bushings are going to stay the same, then your front measurement is kosher.

Paul
                            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
                            X