Fuel tank filler neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank filler neck question

So I just installed the Sherman 23 gallon tank and realized that the filler and vent are backwards from the filler and vent on my metal filler hose. I have an early 66. Is this why? All of the ones I have seen the vendors sell are the same and have no variations according to the year. Thanks for any info on this.
    1966 U13
    393W, C4, 4 Wheel Disc brakes, Power Steering, Hydroboost, 5.5" Suspension, 2" body, BFG 35x12.5's, Big Bearing 9" Detroit soft locker, Yukon 31 Spline Axles, HP D44 Aussie locker.

Re: Fuel tank filler neck question

I put the same tank in my 73 with no issues.

Comment

Ya thats what ive heard from most ppl. On the new tank the filler is on the left and the vent on the right. My tank had the filler on the right and vent on the left, therefore the filler tube matches that configuration. Trying to figure out why.
      1966 U13
      393W, C4, 4 Wheel Disc brakes, Power Steering, Hydroboost, 5.5" Suspension, 2" body, BFG 35x12.5's, Big Bearing 9" Detroit soft locker, Yukon 31 Spline Axles, HP D44 Aussie locker.

Comment

While I've not heard of it it would not shock me one bit, the 66's used so many 1 year only ideas/parts, I'm am surprised you 66 has a vent however, most did not.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I was just told of this by a well known EB Resto/Restomod guy. Early vents are on one side of the filler, late are on the other. Came up during an email string about frenching in a filler that has the late model angle to it so that filling doesn't dribble down the 1/4 or back-splash when it clicks off. I've noticed that the vent position on the neck is also different on late models, and that probably also has an effect on these two complaints.
          Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

Cool thanks, I just bought a filler to match the tank and fabbed it in using a muffler clamp as a mount since the mounting tabs didnt line up. Worked great.
            1966 U13

Comment

Working...
            X