CAGE/Duff arms in the rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAGE/Duff arms in the rear?

I was thinking about doing CAGE/Duff arms in the rear of the Bronco with panhard bar and WH coils. Could it work? Could it not work? And why? Some will ask why not just do a 4 link Patrick? Well... I guess my answer would be quicker install time, less parts and to be different. Lets hear your thoughts?!
    Leave No One Behind
    KK6AUW

Re: CAGE/Duff arms in the rear?

Somebody did it... I saw a picture years ago from Son of the Beach(Bronco Unevent now) where a guy did it. It sacrificed quite a bit more ground clearance than most of the Bronco 4 link systems I've seen(including mine). Honestly 4 link is the way to go. I'm using all Ruff Stuff heims and they really tighten up the ride and don't wear like a lot of people think. In the event you do eventually wear one out... Just a single heim joint without all the accessories is really cheap. If you need any help with design or fabrication let me know... I know other guys on this board would help also. You've seen my Bronco on the trail and on the freeway and it handles well everywhere. I think the downfall to the Duff/Cage arms are those little poly bushings. With constant rear end torque I would think you'd kill them constantly.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Patrick, those little bushings bring the suck bad, that is the reason I swtiched to a 3 link. You really could not run the wedges either, you would almost have to build solid brackets to connect to the axle. I think the Panhard bar would clutter up the rear, Fuel tank problems?
      sigpic

Comment

If your looking for a simple kit look at the Duff rear 4 link kit
        Andrew AV67
        67, 351W, MSD Atomic EFI, NV4500, Atlas 4spd, D44 Ford 9" 4:88 gears, 5 1/2" 4 link lift, 36" Iroks

Comment

I was intent on doing this with my scout. Spoke at length to Jim Cole about it, and a lot of the rockware (if not all) buggies run rear rad arms. I also spoke with some guy that had a 4runner with Jims arms front and rear several years ago. Its a viable option but there are several factors involved as I see it.

Frame clearance for the arms at full stuff
          panhard clearance to either pumpkin or fuel tank
          rear steer
          lack of tunability
          lifting front tire on hard accel based on design of rad arms.
          COST.- you can do a 4 link cheaper, or close to it.
          ease-pretty easy to mount.
          spares-pretty hard to carry a spare rad arm.
          durability as metnioned above with those bushings.
          pinion wrap (short wheelbase and short driveshafts have less forgiveness)

just a few things i can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

All good things mentioned from everyone above and thanks! As far as panhard clearance, I have plenty of room with no issues for hitting the gas tank or diff. As far as the axle mount, Busted Knuckle Garage or Bloodycant remember the name. They have a weld on axle mount that gets rid of the wedge bushings. I wonder if its possible to hard mount from axle mount to arm so not to used the bushings?
            Leave No One Behind
            KK6AUW

Comment

How about binding, are they going to bind the same way they do in the front? I thought the bushings help with the bind, I had to replace those damn things every year.
              sigpic

Comment

Not sure? Doesn't the hiems by the chassis remove most of it?
                Leave No One Behind
                KK6AUW

Comment

no they dont. The axle still wants to pivot (wrap) on those bushings.

Those bushings will wear. Jim usually sends them right out for cheap or free, but they are a service point that needs frequent replacement. As far as running equipment made by a good company (in this case guy) it is hard to beat the Jim Cole design and he is a really cool guy.

Jim now owns Bloody Knuckle and he should have those weld on brackets, tho I havent spoken to him in a long time.

Comment

Dont do it. 4 link is easy and probably cheaper. There is a reason you don't see it that often. 4 link is just a better setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                      Somebody did it... I saw a picture years ago from Son of the Beach(Bronco Unevent now) where a guy did it. .....
                      If it looked like this one:

It was Quinn Dusenberry's EB. There are parts of that truck scattered about mine. He not only used front radius arms, he also used air springs. One spring failed at one of the SOB's and they stuffed it full of red rags to get him home.

I think even a converging upper ('Y') 3 link would be preferable to a radius arm layout.
                      Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

This should work well!!!
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice! I spoke to my neighbor about it last night and he said its a good way to twist the house in half and leave you on the trail. Apparently he saw it happen. Oh well... I thought I was on to something good, back to the drawing board for a 4link just not looking forward to it.
                          Leave No One Behind
                          KK6AUW

Comment

Maybe the first Wristed 9" is the ticket for that radius arm setup?
                            Probably not easy, but I bet it'd be cool as hell and a real conversation starter on the (side of?) the trail!

Paul
                            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

My old heep with extended rad arms
                              Attached Files
                              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Working...
                              X