speedo cable bounce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo cable bounce

when I'm driving down the freeway my Speedo says I'm going 50 or maybe over 100. it bounces the worst on the freeway at higher speeds. Not as bad at lower speeds but it does wine.is this as simple as replacing the cable?

Re: speedo cable bounce

I don't think so. Usually the "bounce" is caused by the weight on the inside of the speedo getting outta whack. I've heard excellent things about the couple guys on Classic Broncos that actually rebuild the gauge clusters. Might want to look one of them up and send your cluster off for a refresh.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

There is a guy in Utah that rebuilds them. It is about $100.00. When I get home on Sunday I will post his info.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

?
        http://www.classychassisrestoration.com/products/
        Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

I think that's him. I won a gift certificate at the moab bronco safari this year.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Bummer, I was hoping it was going to be cheaper & easier than that. Oh well. Off to Utah it goes....

Comment

Told you never listen to me

Comment

Yes I sent mine here, Kevin does fantasic work

Comment

Originally posted by ThrillHouse View Post
                  Yes I sent mine here, Kevin does fantasic work
                  Yes he does... Check out FatBoys 77

Also you can pull your drive cable out and lube it in the speedo cable
                  2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                  1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                  2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

It could definitely be cable lubrication as well. Old school shops may have this grease gun fitting that hooks to the speedo cable so it can be fully greased in place. Just unhook both ends. I'm sure you can buy one too if you look hard enough. My mustang speedo pulsed too and the grease fixed it.

If you decide to use Kevin, I can vouch. Professional and quality fast!
                    Attached Files
                    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Old worn out plastic driven gears, dry cable, fraying cable, all can cause the oscillations in addition to the gauge itself going bad. Your relatively extreme amount of sweep could mean the cable has lived beyond it's usable life. Or it could just be super dry and maybe has a sharper bend or slight kink in it somewhere.
                      Can't hurt to pull it out and inspect and/or lube it first, before sending it out to be fixed. Just in case.
                      Sometimes there's even a little adjustable tensioner on the spindle that you can tighten up to keep the needle from going crazy, but that would mean digging deep into it.

If the cable's jacket/case is good, but the inner drive cable is fraying, new ones can be had fairly easily. I thought we carried them, but don't see it on the website right now.
                      If the cable is just dry, but looks to be in good shape still (hey, it can happen) some lube may be all it takes. I've heard that some kind of dry lube is best, but I've used everything from LPS that leaves a gooey film, to just WD-40 and they've all worked.
                      If the outer jacket is mangled however, best to buy a new one. Those we do have...
                      End shameless plug.

Paul
                      Last edited by DirtDonk; 07-26-2014, 10:10 PM.
                      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

When I built mine I had a new outter, I greased the shit out of the inner, rebuilt the speedo, and now it bounces on the low end when Im less than 20 mph. WTF.
                        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                          When I built mine I had a new outter, I greased the shit out of the inner, rebuilt the speedo, and now it bounces on the low end when Im less than 20 mph. WTF.
                          I bought a new cable assembly and gear. Greased it, installed it and it was okay for maybe a year. Bounces all over the place again. More aftermarket shit, and/or one more thing to remind me that 44+ year old fords suck. Lol.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

I think I'll start with the lube & go from there. It never hurts to have some extra lube! Plus if it works I can once again proove fatboy6200 wrong!

Comment

I had an annoying squeek coming from my cable. I lubed it with some dry graphite type lube from Napa. Worked great and is silent runnin' now.

This looks like what I used if memory serves...
                              http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...378_0006384078
                              Last edited by Fungus232; 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM.
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Working...
                              X