Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe Fuel line proximity to headers?

Hey everyone,

What is a safe distance between headers and rubber fuel lines? I have never run fuel lines before and being paranoid. Also how close for just normal exhaust pipe and fuel lines?

Thanks!
    sigpicZ

1970 project. 302 nv4500, 3 1/2 inch lift, 2 BL, D44

Re: Safe Fuel line proximity to headers?

Id say two inches or so, preferably strapped down at the closest spot. I would just run some steel or alum line from the framerail to pasted the header just for piece of mind.
    Last edited by bent70; 08-09-2014, 03:18 PM.
    70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
      Id say two inches or so, preferably strapped down at the closest spot. I would just run some steel or alum line from the framerail to pasted the header just for piece of mind.
      The farther the better... You can also put them in/wrap them in some heat reflecting material. The heat will shorten the life of the rubber...
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Where are you guys getting your metal lines? Autozone, napa, and oriely only had rubber lines. Also how close for the normal exhaust lines at the rear of the bronco?
        sigpicZ

Comment

Only use steel fuel lines near the headers. Do not use aluminum as it is subject to fatigue cracking and at 40psi - makes a very efficient aluminum fuel sprayer.
          Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

You can get 3/8's rolls of tubing from McMaster carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-tubing/=t7makz
            Scroll down to high strength/ corrosion resistant coils
            Last edited by bent70; 08-09-2014, 04:50 PM.
            70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

I buy straight lengths of metal fuel lines (60") and bend them myself... I have an inverted flaring tool as well.
              Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM.
              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Any body have any pics of the way you are running your fuel lines?
                sigpicZ

Comment

I used 3/8 steel line for the EFI supply and 5/16 steel for the return line. I was lucky to bend and run them on a bare frame. I used flared fittings all the way and spaced unions in case I needed to remove lines later. I ran a ZF5 cross member so I routed the lines around it so I wouldn't have to break them if I ever had to drop the tranny. At the feed point to the motor I used the stock Mustang setup made of new nylon line covered by a rubber hose outer sheath.
                  Since running this setup now for 3000+ miles I haven't had a single issue with it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'll just say that for any lengths where you do use rubber, get good quality rubber hose. The hardware store variety of fuel hose, in my experience does not hold up very well.

For your lines that route near heat sources, mcmaster has tons of options for tubing insulation and reflective wraps. I like running fuel lines on top of the frame rails for protection after seeing my buddy's fuel line puncture when he busted a u joint and had the drive shaft spin around and hit it.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Kragen and vatozone carry lengthes in the back that are pre flared. I bought a roll of 3/8 from summit. Anyone use the braided earls/holley type with the push in an fittings?
                      1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Thanks guys. I bought some 3/8 steel line from napa (25 foot roll so I'll have extra ) I also got a double flare tool and a cutter. I think the plan is to run the line on the side of the frame cause I want to run the electrical loom on top. I think I am going to buy the brackets that space burger is running so I can have the option for efi down the line. Where the line meets the take I ll reverse flare the ends and use small sections of rubber hose with hose clamps. What do you all think?
                        sigpicZ

Comment

BC Broncos makes those fuel line clamps and I love them. I drilled the tap diameter hole directly into the frame then tapped it for 5/16-18. In many spots along the frame some holes are already ready for a 5/16-18 tap so it will be easy. Go ahead and run the return line now. Your gonna be under there and you can cap it off at both ends for now. When its time for EFI go with the Sherman Tank from WH with the in-tank pump. Its the easiest way. I screwed around with external EFI pump and Im done. In-tank = easy and reliable.

ALSO make sure when you do go EFI that any pressurized rubber hose be rated for EFI. You can tell it has a blue nylon inner line and its rated for the pressure.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Spaceburger; 08-10-2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
                            Kragen and vatozone carry lengthes in the back that are pre flared. I bought a roll of 3/8 from summit. Anyone use the braided earls/holley type with the push in an fittings?
                            Braided hose is not intended to be used on the Push-Lock or Barb-tite type of hose end. It needs the screw-on type or the nipple/cutter type to be secure and robust.

I am testing the Push-Lock type of hose end with the "Emissions barrier" type of EFI rubber hose. Have had 4 such hose assemblies on my DD for a little over a year. No issues, but only at carb pressures with a rear mounted TBI pump. I won't suggest that anyone else do this because I can't say for sure that it's a long term solution.

I'm tempted to try some of these clamps: http://www.made4uproducts.com/ Years ago I used some of their ignition wire separators on the '67 Ranchero and really liked them.
                            Last edited by ntsqd; 08-10-2014, 02:57 PM.
                            Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

Does anyone with steel fuel lines have a pic of the bends that go over the clutch assembly? Also when I bought the line it came in a coil, any tricks to getting the line really straight? Thanks!!
                              sigpicZ

Comment

Working...
                              X