Steering box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box question

I found a steering box on my route yesterday, the guy only wants $50 for it. It mounts on the inside of the frame rail. My question is this, can you mount this in the EB with much mod? the tag on it says SPA BN 77A 250

Thanks Chris

Re: Steering box question

Sounds like a lot of cutting and welding in your future if you use that box. Probably a GM box or a jeep one. Either way. I don't think it'll be easy at all...
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

There is a Ford box that mounts like that. Here's our kit with that box: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...table_draglink

It's an excellent box at a better price than most of the other choices. However it does require a certain amount of commitment and expectations of changing some things. Pretty much like most boxes now I think about it!
      Here are the instructions for some better detail than I can give: http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloa...2008-08-06.pdf
      Jim's been running it on his Bronco for many years with pretty epic results.

But while it's a super strong box, smooth feeling and relatively quick steering, one thing I can think of that can cause trouble if you're doing other custom mods, is the radiator can be a very tight fit. Especially when using a non-stock radiator.
      While that's not a deal-breaker necessarily, with the common cooling problems with EB's it's nothing to overlook either.
      The shorter draglink also makes tuning of the steering system a little more important as well, but frankly, fine tuning your steering linkage is important for any Bronco.

And your truck is lifted already, right Chris? If 3.5" or more, you're ok, but if less and you want to stay that way, keep looking for a shorter box.

Good price on the part, but only if it's in good shape and doesn't need a full rebuild. If you go that route, like anything you buy used inspect it closely.

Paul
      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

As Paul was saying, it could be the "f100" box that was very common.
        Got a pic of it?
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
          As Paul was saying, it could be the "f100" box that was very common.
          Got a pic of it?
          Yep. If it looks like this though, it's a late model Ford box, of which we only use the worm gear assembly for swapping in to the popular "F-150 4x4" box.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Fungus232; 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM.
          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

it looks exactly like the WH box that Paul posted, I only have pics of the #'s on it, looks like it might fit if I remove the drain from the radiator....one site says it's a ford box but not clear on the year, the guy says it's a 78 box
            Last edited by ThrillHouse; 07-26-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X