nP 435 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nP 435 question

I have a 435 and AA adapter to D20 J shift on my 73. problem is that the transfer case routinely comes loose from the adapter. ive tightened it numerous times and it still comes loose, which now means I no longer have a gasket between the t case and the adapter and it leaks.
    can I unbolt the adapter from the transmission (4 bolts that are easier to get to) to remove the t case, or do I need to remove the t case from the adapter? or is it just easier to remove the trans and t case as a unit?
    thanks in advance,
    michael
    73 bronco

Re: nP 435 question

what im asking is if I do unbolt the adapter from the trans to remove the tcase, will I have a pile of bearing parts or will a shaft fall out or some other catastrophic failure? or will everything play nice and come apart?
    73 bronco

Comment

Take the adapter and tcase out as one.
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I'm not sure if the 435 has the same characteristic as the stock 3-speed in this situation, but when you remove the t-case and adapter from the back of the trans, you're supposed to lock the stock one in 1st gear so that the shaft doesn't start to come out with the t-case.
        If it comes out just a smidge too far, some of the roller bearings between the input and output shafts can fall loose inside. If the 435 is built the same way, it might be wise to lock it into first as well.
        Someone here will know. Lots of 435's hereabouts.

Like 71, I prefer taking the t-case and adapter out as a unit and leaving the trans in for later. It'll work either way, but it's just less awkward that way.

Paul
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Oh, and if you haven't already figured this out, I would inspect the threaded holes very closely for damage, the bolts for damage, and the mating surfaces for any unevenness.
          Then when it's all back together, use Loctite to help with keeping things tight.
          Or Stage-8 bolts!!!

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

thank you for the info. it'll be my project for early next week.
            michael
            73 bronco

Comment

Happens to a lot of people too.
              Just make sure the bolts are cleans and the holes are clean as well, use a lot of brake clean then loctite them back In.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                Happens to a lot of people too.
                Just make sure the bolts are cleans and the holes are clean as well, use a lot of brake clean then loctite them back In.
                thank you. it seems like I have been running the threads on every bolt and nut lately.
                73 bronco

Comment

Working...
                X