Lift Kit questions with bumper weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Kit questions with bumper weight

I recently bought a '68 Bronco I am fixing up and right now in the progress of ordering parts and everything. Right no?w its the lift kit I am looking at. From looking at a lot of other peoples set ups they usually all have 1-2" body lift plus the suspension lift. Is there a reason for this? I have read in some of the lift kits you need a body lift for the different shock hoop design you choose, or is there other reasons for why people are doing the body lift?
    I am looking at either the:
    - WH 4.5" performance System 7 with the rear shock jock and extreme U-Bolt kit (should I get the 6 degree shims too for rear leaf springs to help out on drive shaft angle)
    - James Duff G 3 1/2" Ultimate Lift kit, on the springs you have choice of medium or heavy duty leaf springs?
    What do y'all think is the best lift, price really is not a issue but also do not want to spend the most possible. Also I know the steering linkage all needs to be worked with somehow when doing these lifts. From what I have read the best way to go is Trac Bar drop bracket which is included. I recently ordered from WH bc it was a special was the Adjustable Trac Bar 4140 Chromoly Includes Bushings
    http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...table_Trac_Bar
    I have seen people also use the James Duff front springs and the WH rear springs? With either one of these lift kits will longer radius arms be a n=must have? If so I have looked at them they all run around $700-$900 range, who has the best for the money?
    I have already ordered the Rock Solid front winch bumper and Rock Solid rear bumper with tire carrier from Protofab 4x4.
    Front: http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=36
    Rear: http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=48
    I am putting a winch on the front bumper and full size spare on the back, my question is will this affect the hight of the lift kit? Like will the weight of these bumpers lower the bronco down any?

Sorry I know its a lot of questions just from previous questions I have put on here y'all are definitely the right people to ask when it comes to anything bronco.
    Thanks
    Zach

Re: Lift Kit questions with bumper weight

I run 5 1/2" wh springs, cage long arms,bilstein 7100 doubled up in the front and singles in the rear, 1 3/8" body lift. It drives good both freeway and two lane country rds. Very little body roll. Front winch bumper and full size spare. The winter top makes a inch diffrence.
    75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

2BL is to clear transmission (np435 etc) and make room for larger tires. You can easily clear 35s with 3.5SL & 2BL. Big tires aren't just for impressing the girls, it's for much needed axle height.
      Long arms are a must have. Cage is the best off the shelf arm on the market. Without the long story of history, you can get Cage arms under the Duff brand name. Long arms will drastically improve road manners and increase flex off-road by eliminating bind.
      Double shocks are almost never necessary unless your an open desert racer.
      Without knowing what your ultimate plans are for the bronco it is really hard for anyone to recommend a lift kit. Most guys that wheel like softer springs (cage, duff & dever) but for overall road/off-road performance you really can't go wrong with WH progressives.

ultimately we would need more info on your broncos purpose before quality info/opinion could be given.
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Its really just going to be a weekend/daily driver with some off-road here and there but not much. So pretty much for looks, I had a '84 Jeep CJ-7 as my first car i bought when I turned 16. I have always wanted one these early body style Bronco's but could not ever find one when i was 16. One day I wanted to buy one and fix it up, but it won't be off-roading a lot more of a daily driver.

Comment

really worried about how bad the body roll is and axel wrap, been looking at the different radius arms, I have seen a lot of different radius arms out there. Also with all the steering linkage i know the lift comes with the trac bar drop bracket and I also already ordered a WH adjustable trac bar. But the lift will be mainly for daily driving so want it to ride as nice as possible. Also the WH or James Duff lift systems comes with shocks, is it worth it to trade them out for something else? Seen a lot of people saying the Bilstein shocks are the best way to go.

Comment

Use a trac bar riser not a trac bar drop bracket with tie rod over set up. I would spend the money on bilsteins or another high end shock. It will take care of the body roll. If your some where close to ripon you can go for a ride in mine.
            75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

For a street queen with some fire road and camping duty. Just about anybodys lift kit will do. And anyone's long arms for that matter. As far as shocks go, I really like rancho 9000s. The ability to adjust your rate is a god send. The shocks that come in the kits are junk.
              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

The advice given here is exactly on point.
                The WH leaf springs (new design) offer great ride quality and REALLY limit axle wrap. Your questions about shims and extreme u-bolts - yes definitely do both. Your pinion angle in the rear will be horrible without the shims and that is all bad. The stock size u-bolts are a little small and the big thick plate that comes with that kit is a lot stronger than stock.
                A word of caution about the WH leafs though - on my rig and on my buddy's rig, the double wrap can contact the spring hangers (primarily when flexed up off road). I would not worry much about it if you are primarily driving on the street. I plan to drop my springs and round off the corners on the double wrap eventually.

No matter which way you go, definitely spend some money on better shocks. The shocks that come with the "kits" are barely adequate. I run Rancho reservoir shocks up front which helped my handling tremendously.

And as was said, use the track bar riser on the axle, not a drop bracket on the frame. Reinforcing the stock frame bracket is a good idea as well.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

I think 5-1/2 inch lift is way too high. You dont need super heavy bumpers unless you want to run into rocks.. and for me, weight is an issue. Both of these rigs are running what Trailbound, Cityhick, and Gremlin said. Bumpers on the green one are omemade from 2"x4"x 1/16 tube. I am gonna build a winch bumper for it. The white one is running old school WH bumpers.
                  We ran Slick Rock Lake Alpine to Utica a few weeks ago and it was a good run. Made it through with not much problems.
                  WH Urethane 2" body lift, 3-1/2" WH 11 pack leaf springs with the 3 degree wedges, 3-1/2" WH progressive coils, Ranch 9000 shocks (one at each wheel), Adjustable heavy duty Track Bar, and one is running stock radius arms, the other old school WH extended radius arms. Both rigs here are running 37" KM2's on 17 inch rims.
                  Both rigs are running 89-91 Mustang EFI, one is a C4, Dana 20 Twin stick, and 3.50 gears, F100 steering box, and shortened F150 steering linkage. The other is running ZF-5 speed, Dana 20 twin stick, 4x4x2 steering box, Tierod over DOM steering linkage, and 4.11 gears.
                  Both got better than 14 mpg on the freeway (110 mile run) going up and back. The setup is good and I am happy with both of them. I would recommend this setup if you want a good streetable EB capable of some decent off road capabilities.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Spaceburger; 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM.
                  Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

You can get away with the stock arms if youre not doing any serious wheeling.
                    The 3.5 sus lift, 2" body lift with 35's look great, handles well, offroads awesome, and you dont have to swap gears if you want to scream down the freeway.

if you dont plan on serious wheeling, get the leaf spring shims to correct the angle of the dangle. I wrapped my axle and sheared the pins when I went wheeling with shims.

Dont spend too much on a lift though. The upgraded lift kits have their purpose (wheeling) Some of the parts included would be a waste for you if you dont need them.

I started off with the WH basic 3.5 lift http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product..._WH_Shocks_3in

It took me down the freeway fine, to school (when I attended) weekend wheeling, and finally the rubicon. After I knew what I wanted, I slowly upgraded. And we will all tell you, You will be upgrading and modifying the hell out of it.

{o===o}
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

^^
                      He speaks the truth. I am very glad I did not spend big bucks on the tubular shock mounts, etc. The F250 mounts will mount shocks just as long for a lot less money. Double and triple shocks are 1980s styling and technology.

People laugh that I am still running 4.11 gears with my 37" tires but for what I do it works very well. My 351 makes good torque and that helps.

I am running what equates to about a 4" lift all around now. 4.5" coils and 5.5" leafs which have settled a bit. It is an evolution and you will always want to change something. Used parts are a great way to start.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Working...
                      X