What stall on torque converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What stall on torque converter

Wondering what stall I should put in my bronco with a mild built 351W and a C4.
    Will eventually have 33's and 4.10's. looks like somewhere between 2000-2400 are common.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Re: What stall on torque converter

I wouldn't do a higher stall. That's a real shock load when it loads up. I would just run stock.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

What is stock?
      Marc D.

Comment

From what I can find it looks like 1000-1400 rpms is pretty normal for stock.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I concur with Jacob and a high stall is going to generate heat on the trail unless you have a manual lock up.
          72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Found tom's sells a 1200-1500 stall, and on classic some guys were saying 1800 is stock.
            Marc D.

Comment

Stock specs
              Attached Files
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                Stock specs
                Thanks for the reference material. You have a recconendation for me?
                Marc D.

Comment

Stall, as you probably know, is dependant on torque, tire size, gearing, etc. I've been through the stall choice mess and back a few times when I was doing my build. Any converter above stock will generate a lot of heat and you will need a plate cooler with dedicated fan to pull it out. A tube and fin won't work; I know by experience. I have a basic TCI converter with slightly above stock stall and the heat generated is heavy and above 225 degrees. The only reason I have this converter as opposed to stock is because of my super low gearing and not being able to stop my rig in LOW-LOW. It's a lot less annoying and more fun to drive with a stock converter and I wish I could use one.

That's what I would run with your combo without a doubt.
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Thanks Carl.
                    Marc D.

Comment

I have Carls old heat builder, I want to say it's a 2600-2800, I'd not do that one that's for sure, LOL.
                      when I pull it, I'm going to go to a 2200.
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I'd go a RV converter they have low stall and IMO best for off-road......,
                        Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                        X