ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball joints

Would bad ball joints make a klunky sound? I was wheeling Sat. Took a few hard bounces and stared getting. Some noise. Imstected this morning and have some play at the joints. They are original. What else should I be looking at?

Re: ball joints

They could, probably depends on how worn they are. If there is play, you will never get it aligned very well, so worth replacing them anyway.
    Beyond that, can you reproduce the sound by bouncing the front end while its parked?
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I'll give it a try and let you know. - have to pull the rear drum also. I yanked the ebrake cable too. I kinda pounded her around yesrerday.

Comment

Nope. Can't make the sound by bouncing it. Only when rolling. I'll see if I can make a sound video. Can't post it until tomorrow when I get to a computer. TY

Comment

Interesting. I hate those noises - I had a front suspension "knock" for years. A friend noticed one day that under certain offroad conditions, something was touching a coil spring. It was super hard to reproduce and not at all obvious. I wish I could remember what that was... it was something really simple.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            Interesting. I hate those noises - I had a front suspension "knock" for years. A friend noticed one day that under certain offroad conditions, something was touching a coil spring. It was super hard to reproduce and not at all obvious. I wish I could remember what that was... it was something really simple.
            Coil cup looks a bit bent and dmn close to the knuckle. I gues this could flex and bind a bit

Comment

Hmm, a yanked parking brake cable too? Maybe that's the rhythmic clanking noise in your rear end? Not being personal...

If it got yanked all the way out, it's not out of the realm of possibility that whatever it was attached to might be bent out of shape inside the drum.
              Or did it get yanked from the body end? Either way, if enough force was applied, maybe it's just your brake causing the other noise.

Hope so anyway. Better than a new locker. Well, not "better" nor more fun, but at least less expensive.

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
              X