Exhaust idea and thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust idea and thoughts

Restoring a '68 Bronco, have had the engine all rebuilt and bored, $1000 spent on machining the heads to higher compression. Now down to the exhaust, I know more air in and faster getting the air out gives you more hp. So right now I just ordered the WH pro flow black headers bc I'm on a budget too I really wanted the BCB whole set up. So to keep the headers heat down what's the best headers wrap out there to help control the heat. But now I'm researching the rest of the exhaust back from the headers. From everyone that I have seen the 2-1 set up is the best way to go. But what about running true duals with an X-pipe and run about 2.25-2.5 inch exhaust. Any suggestions on best way to go for best horsepower with the long tube headers I have already bought. I have a good friend that will do the exhaust for cheap so was going to let him do the exhaust to the back. And I've always done flow master on my trucks but thinking like magnaflow will give it a better sound bc I want it to sound good and get the most horsepower out of the set up.

Re: Exhaust idea and thoughts

I can attest! I had dual flow master Stage 3's and while everyone that was not in my bronco thought it sounded cool. IT WAS NOT! The droning harmonics in the cab made you desire jumping out at full speed. It was horrible. I chopped one out and made it go 2 into 1 flow master and it was an improvement, but still loud. I'm much rather have quiet now, but I'm growing older too.

Comment

True dual with an x-pipe would probably be the best for performance, however you run out of room really fast under an EB.

Two-into-1 works well on most engines found in an EB and your routing options are far greater.

Flowmaster mufflers are the devil, I am tired of them and have no intention of going back. I like Borla mufflers (I have a Borla on my pickup truck and now one on my Bronco). Much less drone and a better, less obnoxious tone. Many are happy with Magnaflow as well.

My flowmaster was annoying with a carb, and intolerable with EFI.

Header wrap... a buddy of mine used the generic stuff that Summit sells, it seems to work fairly well.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I run straight dual exhaust with no X pipe Flowmaster 50 series mufflers good tone and not obnoxious, I had a set of Flowmaster 40 series on it originally but they were just to loud for wheeling all day
        Attached Files
        Andrew AV67
        67, 351W, MSD Atomic EFI, NV4500, Atlas 4spd, D44 Ford 9" 4:88 gears, 5 1/2" 4 link lift, 36" Iroks

Comment

I just did a 2.5" single with a Hush Power muffler( by flowmaster) and it sounds really nice. Where are you located? Maybe you could do some audio research with local bronco people. The hush power is nice and small.
          Attached Files
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Under bronco.
            Attached Files
            Marc D.

Comment

I am running 2.5 with 2012 mustang mufflers and an H pipe. The sound is fine, but mufflers are HUGE and hard to fit. I agree that true dual with an X pipe is the best for power, but not practical on a bronco, the H pipe is a good alternative but it is also fairly hard to fit and depending on your drivers side transfer case clocking that pipe can be hanging down fairly far.

Be careful to not go too large with your exhaust, for a 302 I suggest 2.25, or even 2 inch if you go dual, keeping your exhaust velocity up with help with low end torque.

I am running a 351, but if I had to do it again I would do 2.5 into a single 3" through the muffler and then split it out again into two 2.5 inch so I would have two tailpipes (I really like the sound and look of dual exhaust tips)

With long tube headers it is really hard to get the drivers side exhaust over to the passengers side since the collector dumps out behind the gap between the engine and transmission where most people run the pipe.

Good luck!
              Build thread

Comment

A word on header wrap

A friend wrapped some headers on a street car. Worked great until he burst an AFT cooler hose and soaked the hot header with AFT. Exhausted BOTH fire extinguishers that he carries in the car. If it had not been for our mutual friend who was riding with him spotting someone's garden hose he would have lost the car to the fire.

I know there's a "paint" sold that supposedly stops that from happening. I came up with a better plan, don't use the wrap.

The other thing about the wrap is that it supposedly rusts out the headers much faster because the tube can't dump it's heat. Lots of road car forum posts about this, no personal experience - see above paragraphs.

-----

IME, and no idea that you'd do this, but a single 3" tube is too big for a 302. BT, DT with the 302 in my '67 Ranchero.
                Last edited by ntsqd; 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM.
                Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

I used the silacon spray paint you are supposed to use. Do your initial fire up somewhere with excellent ventilation. It was aweful. I got it at tognottis in Sacramento. I think I spent 2/3 of what it would cost to have the headers ceramic coated locally.
                  Marc D.

Comment

X2 on the Flowmaster Hush Power. I've been running it for about 3 years and its quiet under normal driving but sounds good when you get after it.
                    '75 Bronco in the works..
                    '69/2012 FJ40 with some stuff.

Comment

I bought a roll of this and some 0.050" aluminum and made heat shields similar to what a modern car has all the way back between my floorboard and exhaust. It seems to really help. Now my passengers feet won't sweat or melt. My exhaust is also wrapped but it's all stainless so rust won't be an issue.
                      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Another personal experience to learn from:
                        My dad wrapped his headers, atf soaked them, and caught on fire. We used a fire extinguisher as well.

Comment

I'd like to keep hearing about people's muffler choices, I'm sick of it being Loud, I want to quiet.

As for header wrap, it all looks like crap after about 1 year, coat the pipes if you can, if not, just leave it alone.
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I used 3" in out Big Block Flowmaster 50 series that measures 22x12. Nice rumble at idle but not loud. Way better than the 40 series.
                            Attached Files
                            Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                              I'd like to keep hearing about people's muffler choices, I'm sick of it being Loud, I want to quiet.
                              I'm also curious to hear more about other mufflers. My 50 series muffler was perfect until I went with the explorer motor with EFI. Now it's too loud.

I looked at a Borla one time and it looked just like a Magnaflow inside. Not sure how their sound differs but I'm not really a fan of the Magnaflow sound. I've been eyeballing the Borla TurboXL mufflers but I believe they're straight through and not an actual turbo style.

Any other good suggestions out there?
                              1972 w/Explorer package
                              5.0L Explorer EFI motor w/GT40P heads
                              M5R2 5 speed trans/NP205 t-case

Comment

Working...
                              X